Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i am trying my hands at fitting a set of one piece grips before i take the plunge with some expensive stuff and ran across one of these sets...
i know they are Polymer and do not have high hopes but i am wondering if anyone else tried these and had any success?....
the one i am looking for is the one piece grips with the panels and the spacer....
my worries are if they need to be sanded will that be a problem?....
i wonder if they are oversize or will be too small fit to the frame....
thanks in advance God Bless,John
the way i am able to run a one piece set of grips on a Ruger Flattop Blackhawk is i added a Power Custom Colt SAA 2pc frame...
i was able to get a screaming closeout deal from Midway USA a few weeks back in Brass and it fits any second gen or third gen Colt Saa grips
here is some pics of the kit i am looking at

and here is the set of grips i want to make...they are made by Lone Star Custom Grips...
they are the closest to the grips i am trying to copy
i think they are Giraffe Bone or maybe American Holly...
i like the Giraffe Bone as i think they resemble the Cow Bone i am told these are made from
these i am told are American Holly

and these are Giraffe Bone

here is my gun currently
frame is just tried on and not fitted yet

and here is the gun and grips i am trying to model this all after

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I Remember reading lots of info on what’s best for ivory synthetic . Many posts on it, I recall powder , a key word.
cozmo was a participant - he has knowledge and talents in both one piece and screw style .
i would reach out to him on his advice ...purchase and actual fitting.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Boone Trading Company used to make stocks, aka grips, from polymers and a powdered ivory made by finely grinding all the scrap ivory the amassed from making grips and other ivory items. I have a set; that my ex-wife scrimshawed for me. They have "aged" somewhat like real elephant ivory; lost the bright white finish the had when new.

The Eagle "prop" was carved by Dave Marlatt, of Cambridge, Ohio; I have a damascus blade to go with the handle I just haven't got the courage up to drill the grip!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts