Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
greetings , are all Colt lanyard rings created equal?? will they inter-change ??please post a reply rj

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Most Colt lanyard rings you will find are from the New Service and/or 1917 Colt. I have found them to interchange even with the S&W 1917 and/or the early N Frames.These will not interchange(without alteration) with the smaller S&W M&P/Victory models. I say this because maybe special shorter shank lanyards were built for the relatively fewer "E Frames"(O.Police etc.) factory fitted with them. Even a few "D" frames had them. I saw a spectacular "U.S." SAA on Collector Firearms site,that has a round,not oval lanyard,like some of the British Webleys. Was the gun in question,factory drilled & pinned for a lanyard??? Good Luck,theyre expensive little touches now! Bud

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
greeting lone wolf , first i am not postively sure the .colt .357 was drilled at the factory as the hole is for the swivel retaining pin is drilled to the rear of the grip behind the pin ( when the revolver is right side down and your can read colt .357)
now on my factory installed prewar .38 Offical Police ( A Conn. State Police revolver ) the pin is in front of the pin.
But the CSP offical oplice swivel and pin are a drop in , so I would say 99 % sure .
I have found a swivel for a colt new service and am hoping its a drop in . tried the gunparts repro and it was rotten ..really rotten as the swivel ring was about 1/8 of an inch longer than the other side.
appreciate you input , please post a reply rj

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
What a bummer from Gun Parts! especially with the price they charge! Cant ever tell which side the ring retaining pin is on. Do the grips that come with the gun,have what looks to be a factory "hole" for the end of the pin to set in or is the pin "flush"? I dont even think a factory letter would help,as they are often sketchy about since "details" as lanyard & grips. This is for the Nickle .357 from Florida Highway Patrol (or State Cops) right? Wonder if some "old timer" down there would know for sure? Hey, dont ever let anyone say these guns werent made with a 5" nickle configuration as they left the factory. I was looking through an old Sarco add in a 1992 Gun List. They had a bunch of old Colt stuff they just purchased at Hartford,well,let me tell you,under barrels,was a 5" Nickle for the ".357 Model". I used the same add to buy a 4 1/2" old style .44 Russian & Special barrel & a 44/40 cylinder (no matching sets) to convert a .455 N.S. I had. (later had the .455 cylinder reamed to .45 Colt,and sold this & the barrel to a friend who had a "shot up 1917 N.S. I then kept being bugged by a dealer to sell me the .44 N.S.,so with all the parts & cost of gun figured in,I made a little $$$ on the deal. Wondered why he gave me such a good deal,'til I found out that he sold the .44 N.S. to a rich NEWBIE collector,as an Original N.Service 44! Never said anything to him,mainly because I never patronized his shop again! Sorry for the "rambling" ! Good Luck, Bud

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lone wolf , the grips that came with the colt are the service type ( like the standard offical ploice ) so no hole at the base as the base does not cover the butt , secondly the grips are earlier than the .357 , i would say approx 1955 and not numbered to the .357 , can find grips and one of the future guns shows ,
this is my current project having just finished 2 det. speical projects and the .357 was next in line.
do you have a F.H.P. .357 and if so whats the number on the butt?
please advise rj

1 - 5 of 5 Posts