Colt Forum banner

Are new production M1903’s letterable?

3K views 32 replies 14 participants last post by  ei8ht 
#1 ·
I know from dealing with the Colt percussion reissue gun made for colt, it was a matter of
Whether they were shipped to Colt before
Distribution, as to whether you could get a Cotl letter on them. Does anyone Know if the new production M1903 General Officers
Pistols made for Colt in Pennsylvania, were shipped to Colt/ letterable?

#4 ·
I think I'm not understanding very well, but why would you consider paying another $75 (or whatever the current "fee" is), on top of the $1200/$1600 you already paid for your pistol, which is simply a modern manufactured replica, of a gun that was made many years ago by Colt?

I would assume you're aware of where you bought it, (paperwork?), and again, it no doubt had to have been manufactured in the past year or two, (since the re-issue didn't exist before that), so I am just curious as to what a "letter" from Colt would prove?

#9 ·
The 3rd reissue black powders did’nt paper either... made by the same people and location as the 1st and 2nd... the only difference was they wasnt shipped to colt
, then distributed. Was a catalog item just like the earlier ones.
The 1903 manual clearly states
“Made for Colt under license by U.S. Armament “
And is in the Colt Catalog as a special edition. Colt was a part of the reverse engineering at every step according U.S.
Armament.

#14 ·
I am sorry, (I'm really not trying to be a PITA) but I think you're reading something into the instructions that is not there!

It clearly says: "PLEASE CALL COLT AT (800) 962-2658 (COLT) EXTENSION 1450 FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO SEND US THE FIREARM".

It does NOT say "where" it is to be sent, but instead that they will TELL YOU where to send it, when you call!
:)

#22 ·
P99guy, I can understand you wanting to fully authenticate your 1903 for the future owners; but it seems you could do that yourself simply enough.
Any print shop would provide you with a nice certificate with all the pertinent data, along with your purchase records. That would be far and away more info than a typical Colt or S&W archive letter.

I see manufactures "letters" as mostly to put historical dates, destinations and an item's special features in place, where memory no longer serves.

#30 ·
Originally Posted by nowinca:
Hmm... that is interesting... Would you mind saying what the problem with your pistol(s) was, which required them to be returned to U.S. Armament for service or repairs?
On the first gun the firing pin broke after 1300 rounds, and some months later the magazine latch broke off. On the second gun the trigger would occasionally lock up...for that repair I was given a new slide. This was over a year ago, since then I have read that quality has improved.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.