Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I bought a LNIB mid 70's Python quite a few years ago and immediately removed the original grips and replaced them with hogue rubber grips which I found to be much more comfortable.

The grips are fairly nice walnut, and in perfect shape, no scratches, no chips, etc.

Was looking through the forums and came across quite a bit of info on Python grips that I found a bit confusing.

From the posts I've read, it seems like my grips are 3rd gen, but with all the talk about repro and fake grips, in particular comments suggesting that Colt used very plain walnut for the 3rd gen grips, I'd like to get some opinions.

here are some pics I snapped today:

inside1.jpg
left1.jpg right1.jpg

basefront3.jpg back1.jpg

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies. I see the appeal of the grips to a collector, but for myself, I would definitely put shooting comfort ahead of originality. With the value of the grips alone getting up to a pretty high percentage of what I paid for the entire gun, I think I'll probably end up selling the grips to someone who would appreciate them more than I do.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,485 Posts
I wouldn't.
In the future you may want to sell the Python or pass it on to a relative. In that case the value will be higher if it still has the original factory grips.
The prices of original Colt Target grips is skyrocketing, and the supply is drying up.
At the current pace, within a few years original grips will not be available at all, so you probably won't be able to find another set if you later regret selling them.

Remember that we are only temporary owners of our guns and sooner or later they'll pass to other owners. They will be thrilled the gun is still in original factory configuration, and will curse whoever sold the original grips of such a valuable gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts