Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
The Convention is technically in St Charles. Based on Google maps this is about 25 miles from downtown St Louis. I'd guess there will be zero impact on the show. If you were planning on going downtown or visiting the arch after dark you might want to reconsider, but otherwise i'd bet no impact. This is just my guess and have no association to the CCA other than being a member.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
Not that I think it would come to that, but I doubt rioters and looters are likely to try and commit their criminal acts where everyone has guns.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
Jus wondering....Are the St Louis riots going to affect the CCA show?
For those (such as myself), who didn't have a clue what the "CCA Show" is, here is a clickable link that makes it a little more understandable.

I would seriously doubt there would be any source that could advise you whether or not there will be civil unrest that far in advance! I think you'd have to check with the rioter's organization, :rolleyes: in order to get any current information about that! :D

There is no mention of any "riots" on the convention web site. Clickable Link: Convention

nowinca

·
Registered
476 Posts
St Charles is across the MIssouri river (very clean good historic city) and two cities (bridgton and ferguson) away from St Louis very very unlikely to be a issue....its kinda like crossing the Rio Grande river in texas ...

to me the only very remote possibly would be traveling from StL airport to St Charles but even then that is multi-lane highway and they are not going to let that get shut down at all.......Missouri's governership has changed hugely since the ferguson riots to a no nonsense governer...protest yes...riot no...

·
Registered
6,566 Posts
Not that I think it would come to that, but I doubt rioters and looters are likely to try and commit their criminal acts where everyone has guns.
....... and no ammo.

I was at a show in Baltimore where a group of.....uh........ young gentlemen were robbing people as they left the show.

·
Registered
20 Posts
St Charles is across the MIssouri river (very clean good historic city) and two cities (bridgton and ferguson) away from St Louis very very unlikely to be a issue....its kinda like crossing the Rio Grande river in texas ...

to me the only very remote possibly would be traveling from StL airport to St Charles but even then that is multi-lane highway and they are not going to let that get shut down at all.......Missouri's governership has changed hugely since the ferguson riots to a no nonsense governer...protest yes...riot no...
^^^^^^^^
Yup

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
....... and no ammo.

I was at a show in Baltimore where a group of.....uh........ young gentlemen were robbing people as they left the show.

That figures...here in the People's Republic of Maryland, which is occupied territory...it's not surprising. At a large gun show in Timonium in 1988-1989, which is outside of Baltimore, I had a handgun stolen from the trunk of my car...no damage to the car at all but somehow the thief got into my locked car and trunk. There was an AR-15 in there as well as a 1911 and I can't remember what else but the revolver was all that was taken. Maybe the thief was interrupted and he ran off.

At any gun show, you can count on at least some cars having firearms in them.

Reactions: ponyup

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
So many changes in our world in the last 40 years and the gun shows are just one of the markers we measure change with. In my opinion inflation is what has done the shows in, prices have risen far more than wages so of course credit has been the major way to purchase guns. The little guys in the shows didn't do credit cards plus add in regulations and the little guy is gone. It's the store dealers that fill up the shows here with about 90%of the tables and they take credit cards.

Still about 10% of the tables are gun club members who want to sell their stuff and I have seen deals out of those guys. Personally I like the gun shows and most of the average guys there. If the shows die because of lack of atendence then I doubt they will come back.

Jim

·
Registered
51 Posts
St. Charles and St. Louis are two different worlds. St. Charles has been voting conservative almost as long as St. Louis has been voting liberal. There is no mass transit connecting the two. St. Charles still has a small town feel even though it has grown a lot. I drive from St. Charles to west St. Louis county every day and wouldn't even know there were protests and riots if I didn't watch the news. This was also the case during the Ferguson riots. It's a short drive west on I70 from the airport, so no problem there. To be honest, if anyone wanted to visit the arch or other downtown attractions, construction is more likely to cause delays than protests. But, St. Charles County (St. Charles, St. Peters, O'fallon, Wentzville) provides plenty restaurants and attractions to keep you entertained for a long weekend.

·
Banned
1,793 Posts
St. Charles and St. Louis are two different worlds. St. Charles has been voting conservative almost as long as St. Louis has been voting liberal. There is no mass transit connecting the two. St. Charles still has a small town feel even though it has grown a lot. I drive from St. Charles to west St. Louis county every day and wouldn't even know there were protests and riots if I didn't watch the news. This was also the case during the Ferguson riots. It's a short drive west on I70 from the airport, so no problem there. To be honest, if anyone wanted to visit the arch or other downtown attractions, construction is more likely to cause delays than protests. But, St. Charles County (St. Charles, St. Peters, O'fallon, Wentzville) provides plenty restaurants and attractions to keep you entertained for a long weekend.
While I lived in St. Louis for a short time (about a year, back in the seventies), I was hoping someone would chime in here who knew the city better than I, and you obviously do! I had a sister out in Ballwin, and would visit her every few months most of my life, in addition to several relatives in the Maplewood area, but my clearest recollection of Saint Louis, is the climate in that area, which (no offense intended), I found really oppressive, because of the humidity in the summer months! Having spent most of my life in the "high country" of the Rockies (and further North), I could never adapt to that river bottom country! I would second Doug45's thoughts regarding places to see in that area, and one of them should be the Arch!

Saint Louis is a fascinating city, with many historically significant attractions to see and enjoy, and I wouldn't let the protesting and demonstrations be too big of a concern, because you can't isolate yourself from our society today, and no matter where you're at, you'll find unrest...New York, Saint Louis, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, etc. the same problems exist...

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
I for one have decided that neither my wife's and mine own personal safety is worth the risk and therefore will not attend. This is predicated on reports of the local politicians placating the rioters and handcuffing the police. Perception is reality in my opinion, see you in Frisco, Tx.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wasn't really recommending anyone visit downtown St. Louis while you're in the general area. I personally avoid it as much as I can. If I were to suggest a St. Louis attraction it would be the zoo in Forest Park. There is no fee to get in and it is very impressive. There is also no fee for the nearby History Museum and Art Museum. This is a much nicer area than all the way downtown anyway. nowinca is right about the climate. It's not just the humidity either. The allergens are terrible here. People might want to start some Flonase now if you have trouble with that. Mike, the St. Louis politicians are as bad as you hear, especially the new mayor. Luckily, all of St. Louis County separates the city from St. Charles. I wouldn't come either if I was uncomfortable with the situation. It's a shame that poorly run city which already drove away a lot of its population and business continues to give the region a black eye.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.