Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been been looking for a Bankers Special. I have been sent 3 sets of pictures of Square Butt, .38's , however when I look up the S/N's they were all post 1940 according to Proof House. Since the square butt model of the Bankers Special stopped in 1934 and the last Bankers Special was manufactured in 1940, these have to be re barreled Police Positives .38's, I think.

Was there a different S/N numbering system for Bankers Specials, or is Proof House correct in using the Police Positive .38 S/N chart for Bankers Specials also?

Have you seen a lot of Bankers Special Barrels on Police Positive .38's?

TIA

·
Registered
349 Posts
There are no doubt more revolvers with the 'Bankers Special' barrels around than there were ever such "REAL" revolvers made.
For years we installed NEW barrels from the factory that were marked 'BANKERS SPECIAL' IN POLICE POSITIVE AND EVEN SOME POLICE POSITIVE SPECIAL frames.
Other shops did so as well. It was not done to defraud, but to supply a short barrel concealable weapon to meet the demand
of the market at the time.
Unforunately too many are now neing foisted off as genuine.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are no doubt more revolvers with the 'Bankers Special' barrels around than there were ever such "REAL" revolvers made.
For years we installed NEW barrels from the factory that were marked 'BANKERS SPECIAL' IN POLICE POSITIVE AND EVEN SOME POLICE POSITIVE SPECIAL frames.
Other shops did so as well. It was not done to defraud, but to supply a short barrel concealable weapon to meet the demand
of the market at the time.
Unforunately too many are now neing foisted off as genuine.
Thank you Sir, Should I just stay away from Square Butt .38 Bankers Special's? Is there another way to tell if they are Original since even if the S/N is in the 1926 - 1933 range they can still be re-barreled Police Positives?

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
I passed on a 1940 bankers special square butt at an auction about 4 months ago. It looked all correct and the finish matched on everything and let it go for $530. I believe some did have square butts after the 1933 date if ordered that way. I didn't know this at the time or I would have bid more.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"I believe some did have square butts after the 1933 date if ordered that way."

I did not know that, the only info I can find states "Bankers Special - 2 in. barrel, square butt standard through 1933, round butt standard
1934-40, last patent date on barrel was Oct. 5, 1926. Mfg. 1926-40. Available in .22 LR, .38 Colt Police Positive (New Police) or .38 S&W cal."

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As usual, thank you all for your expertise. At least I asked first before purchasing a Bankers Special. :)

Note to self:
1. Look for a .22 LR version as it would be too much trouble for someone to have converted something else.
2. If .38 round butt, double check the S/N to make sure it falls within 1934 to 1940. It is probably OK.
3. If .38 square butt, double check the S/N to make sure it falls within 1926 to 1933, get it lettered unless I know the seller is very very reputable.

This collecting thing is hard work, but fun.

·
Registered
813 Posts
As usual, thank you all for your expertise. At least I asked first before purchasing a Bankers Special. :)

Note to self:
1. Look for a .22 LR version as it would be too much trouble for someone to have converted something else.
2. If .38 round butt, double check the S/N to make sure it falls within 1934 to 1940. It is probably OK.
3. If .38 square butt, double check the S/N to make sure it falls within 1926 to 1933, get it lettered unless I know the seller is very very reputable.

This collecting thing is hard work, but fun.
If you are even considering the purchase of a 38 Banker's Special, I would absolutely urge you to also read (Several Times!) the following previous thread. It contains a wealth of marvelous information about these interesting little guns. You will find that the 38 is a lot less common than many people think. Gary Peer, in his recent little book about Colt snub noses, used information from this thread in his discussion of the 38 guns.

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/18781-bankers-special-38-a.html

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you both, I will make sure it has a checkered trigger and serrated top strap. That is one long thread from 2009. I tried searching first. Great thread.

If any of you know of a correct Bankers Special for sale, PM or email me, because this is not the WTB section. Thank you again,

1 - 11 of 11 Posts