Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the few years I have been on this forum I can't remember having read any threads or seen any photos discussing the Ace. I'm sure there has been at some point but I did a search and came up empty handed. I'm curious about the collectability of this gun (which seems high) and the different variations since it's inception and how those effect collectability and which ones are the most sought after.

It was one of the Colts I dreamed of owning back in 1976 when I wore out that Colt catalog that I picked up at my local gun shop. I've since picked up a few of those guns but not all of them. Once I found this forum the Colt collecting door flew wide open and therefore it created a lot of distractions (and purchases) that were not on my original want list. The Ace was.

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
In the few years I have been on this forum I can't remember having read any threads or seen any photos discussing the Ace. I'm sure there has been at some point but I did a search and came up empty handed. I'm curious about the collectability of this gun (which seems high) and the different variations since it's inception and how those effect collectability and which ones are the most sought after.

It was one of the Colts I dreamed of owning back in 1976 when I wore out that Colt catalog that I picked up at my local gun shop. I've since picked up a few of those guns but not all of them. Once I found this forum the Colt collecting door flew wide open and therefore it created a lot of distractions (and purchases) that were not on my original want list. The Ace was.
22Short,

COLT started the "ACE" back in 1931 and basically ended it in 1941. There were a few assembled from surplus prewar parts in 1947. It was/is a straight blow-back .22 (no floating chamber) with a 4.75 inch barrel.

In 1935 COLT started the "Service Model ACE" and it continued (in blue) to 1942. COLT started producing it again in June 1945 (production also stopped in 1945). The 1945 SM ACE pistols were Parko-Lubrite finish. The SM ACE has a 5 inch barrel with a floating chamber.

In November 1977, COLT started making the new 70 Series SM ACE. It has a 5 inch barrel with a floating chamber.

If you wore-out a 1976 catalog,---most likely, it is the 70 series SM ACE on your want list.? They are out there!! (Actually ,all three are out there with several variations,---maybe there will be a BOOK;).)

Some pictures of the 70 series. (The Pistol is wet.)

Best Regards,

P.S. And,---"and which ones are the most sought after"?? Hopefully, some collectors will educate!?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I am the current caretaker for a few of the ACES. Although I shoot them occasionally, I have never been thrilled with their accuracy or longevity to fire w/o malfunction when dirty, after 100s of rounds. Favoring my Hi Standards for 22lr. ACE 3098 tf (800x600).jpg ACE 3098 (800x600).jpg That being said I do love them - Colt mfg'd! ACE 3949 (800x600).jpg ACE 3949 t (800x600).jpg

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Bought as a shooter. ACE SM 1640 (800x600).jpg ACE SM 1640 tf (800x600).jpg Made-up SM ACE SM1640 Stevenson sight, floating chamber, parkerized, appears Rem Rand slide 1941?, FJA P with ordnance stamp. Any thoughts on this one?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not able to see the photos either Ted. Any chance you can try and re-post as I'm sure there are a lot of I interested readers who'd like to see them. I know I do.

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
We have a couple of the early 1931 ACE's. One, my dad purchased for me back in 1954 at Abercrombie & Fitch in NYC. Although very lightly used, it was in its original box and it still resides in our safe. Back then, just a visit to their gun department was quite a treat!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It always amazes me where guns were once sold and now how these establishments have changed as is the case of Abercrombie and Fitch. You won't find any guns for sale y here any more but you can purchase a $300 pair of jeans.

That sounds like a really special gun and you're lucky to have it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts