Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, and Happy Holidays

I (like many of you) have paid premiums for colts with original boxes with serialed end-labels matching the gun. There are now folks with computer programs that recreate those end labels and are selling them.

QUESTION: is there any way to id if the label is original colt or not? I anticipate there is not, but had to ask.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I keep a photo of any known good ones that have been verified on my cell phone. That's a chore because there are several original style labels. I keep only the ones for the guns that I'm interested in. After a while you will get to the point of not needing some of the photos. Also add a bar scanner app to your phone it will also help. JMO D*

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Careful review of known counterfeit/fake labels is a good start: Gunbroker name "vikrant" / ebay name "blovit".

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Condition is a good indicator, it's almost comical sometimes when you see an old, tattered box with a pristine label on it. And I guess it goes without saying that the vast majority (probably all) labels sold separately are reproductions.

·
Registered
471 Posts
great advice above........it is amazing how a bad one will show itself as fake next to a real one in person ...but usually people dont have a real one around to compare to......after a while you get a eye for the paper/ink/font etc

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Those of us that buy a lot and see a lot can now tell in about 95% of the cases. Both boxes and labels have tell tale signs. At some point I thought of writing it down, but never have. It's experience plus intuition. Color, material, border, font, design, handwriting, etc. all go into the label recipe and have to be just right. With boxes too you can tell.

The guy in Sparta TN sells so much fake stuff, I can now recognize his handwriting on the labels as well as the serials on box bottoms.

·
Registered
130 Posts
As a Colt collector who has yet to purchase a Python, It's kinda scary knowing so many people are actively trying to steal my money. Seems like waiting to see one I really want posted in the for sale section of this forum might be safest. That way many knowledgeable eyes would be looking for fakes and hopefully call them out if they do end up in our forum.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
I am from the church of "You are buying a gun not a box or hang tag." That being said I was presented with a real box by one of the stores I routinely recommend in Pistol Safety Classes and the plastic case was bought in a estate sale. I can tell many times because of a condition mismatch. If the gun and box is 40 years old and the label looks new you have a fake. When you see enough real ones the fakes stand out clearly. The biggest advice I can give is know who you are buying from. If Marc from Keystone Arms says it is real it is real. If John Fugate says it is real it is real. If you are that concerned with real boxes buy from them and you will never go wrong

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
A box is nice but I’m more concerned how my Python looks and functions. Besides that my Python is never going
Back in a box anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts