Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to Pythons (and handguns in general) but looking to buy one as my first revolver. I'm interested in getting a stainless steel one or a blued one (I like them both and they both seem to have their advantages).

Anyway, when there are listings online for "like new" or "NIB" or "barely been fired", is there anyway to tell if the gun has been "retouched" or not and is actually in original condition? Or does it not matter?

I guess this question could go for both blued and SS.

Thanks

Premium Member
The best way is to post real good photos or link to the photos as you learn. There are some real experts on the forum to spot the really good reblues, and then you can quickly learn to spot the bad reblues. The usual signs are things that are blue that were not blued from the factory, like blued instead of polished hammer sides, pitting underneath bluing, over polishing that causes rounded corners, dished out screws, shallow roll marks, etc.

Registered
Standard rules for reblued guns apply:

Soft edges
Over buffed / missing rollmarks
buffed sideplates with soft sideplate / frame seams
pits under bluing
wrong color blue
all blue hammer
etc.

Premium Member
Two great pieces of advice above Goldeneye. Also, as you look online, feel free to return here with any referenced item you wish to learn about and you'll be pleasantly surprised how many folks will weigh in with helpful advice and honest opinions as to condition, price, whether an item has been put together from other sources, reblued or refinished.

Fake boxes and paperwork detection is an artform around here with some of the most astute group of gun collectors you'll find anywhere.

Glad to have you here!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice guys...especially the warning about an all blued hammer!! I thought the other way around was redone hah!

Colt-S/others, is having paperwork and box necessary? There's a couple listing for stainless steel Pythons that look good but they have neither the box nor the paperwork. Are there "fake"/counterfeit Pythons made in China (or someplace) out there on the market? It might be a silly question, but coming with a little knowledge from coin collecting, if there's money to be made then someone's gonna be selling fakes. So just curious if this is prevalent at all with the actual revolver, or just paperwork/boxes?

Registered
Probably the nearest thing you'll find to a counterfeit python is someone chopping a barrel or replacing a standard length barrel with a barrel of a more collectible nature. Those are tricky and you need to check serial numbers, roll stamps, and model numbers when you can.

Other than that, you may occasionally find a frankengun --- the situation where a python barrel has been put on another frame. Although Smythons (Smith-Python), Trythons (Trooper-Python), and Poopers (Python-Trooper) exist which are very good guns, the Smith frames are obvious and usually people will be up front about them. Frankenguns are a different story where creativity is not always a good thing.

Examples of Frankenguns and other combinations follow:
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/python/76238-python-another-fake-frankengun.html
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/30356-python-mkiii.html
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-revolvers/72961-looking-buying-python-need-help.html

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info TFlyboy, even if I really can't tell too much from the pics :-/. I guess before I buy, I'll definitely run it by you pros here!

Registered
Thanks for the info TFlyboy, even if I really can't tell too much from the pics :-/. I guess before I buy, I'll definitely run it by you pros here!
Most members here are willing to help, but don't post too much info or link the auction: You could get scooped by lurkers.

Registered
Most members here are willing to help, but don't post too much info or link the auction: You could get scooped by lurkers.
I lived in fear for 2-3 days here at the end of the week in anticipation of my purchase on Saturday. Found a nice BSTS KC for the price of a regular one. I thought for sure someone was gonna make a swoop on it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I lived in fear for 2-3 days here at the end of the week in anticipation of my purchase on Saturday. Found a nice BSTS KC for the price of a regular one. I thought for sure someone was gonna make a swoop on it.
I guess we gotta be careful. But glad you got what you wanted. Mind sharing where you picked it up? gunsamerica? I'm still trying to figure which sites are more "trusted". People seem to have mixed feelings about gunbroker.

Registered
Look at the screw holes for "dishing" they won't be as sharp as an original finished gun. The color is almost never correct and look at it in day light. Get a 10X magnifier and look over closely. For the kind of money they are going for these days, it's well worth it. Best advice, find someone who really knows to come with you.

Registered
I guess we gotta be careful. But glad you got what you wanted. Mind sharing where you picked it up? gunsamerica? I'm still trying to figure which sites are more "trusted". People seem to have mixed feelings about gunbroker.
Well, you could put Armslist last, that's for sure. Far as Gunbroker, Gunsamerica and AuctionArms - who knows, it's the ad. I think GunsAmerica seems to have fewer allowed Credit Card Pays. I never buy anything online unless it's a C.C. purchase - which gives you good protection. Anything else, aside from PayPal funded by a Credit Card, is sending cash to an unknown person selling an unknown item. No way, no matter how good it looks. C.C. or I walk on.

Registered
I got it from an ad on Armlist. However, when dealing with guns on Armslist, I will only do face to face transfers that are local to me. Do not do any "send money and ship" deals on there. It is rampant with scams and fake listings. But you have to sort through all of those to find the real gems. Armslist is where I find all of my real life price deals. I use GB as a reference sometimes but will not purchase on there, prices are too artificially inflated for my taste.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts