Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad only loads .45 ACP on his Dillon 550. I just swung over for a visit and he produced some bullets he bought at least 25 years ago.

To me they look like they need some sort of lube. Are these okay to load in their current state?

·
Registered
653 Posts
Many bullet makers are going to a polymer coating now. From the texture looks like that might be what you have, however I don't know if the coatings were available 25 years ago. If you know someone who has a lube sizer, you could have them lubed.

·
Premium Member
502 Posts
I probably have a similar box, and it is probably a dry lube which has been around for a long time. Cast bullets of the day came with a waxy lube in the grooves if not otherwise treated. Alox is still available and easy to use if you have doubts.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
I think I would run them through a sizer and lube them up. The extra lube wouldn't hurt anything (assuming there is already some sort of lube there) and the sizer might square up some of the rounded areas on the bevel base and driving bands.

·
Registered
175 Posts
At first, I thought that they were swaged bullets when first looking at the top photo. The box's label cleared that up.

They are certainly lubed with a liquid lube that dried before packing. I'd certainly load up a magazine or two and give 'em a try. I've shot worse looking bullets with good results and no leading when the velocity was kept at 800 fps or so. Perfect velocity for a 200 grain SWC in the 45 ACP.

By the way, a quick search shows that T&T is still in business. You could send them a note asking about those bullets of yours.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Those look to be outside lubricated. If in doubt, call the maker and they will likely tell you they're outside lubricated. They will probably even tell you which outside lube process they use.

·
Premium Member
5,171 Posts
ACP does not drive them fast enough to lead your barrel, all things being equal. If your dad shot them, no time to be a rebel. If worse comes to worse, there are lead removal patches.

Reactions: Uplander
1 - 20 of 27 Posts