Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So let me start this off by saying I am currently stumped. I have on hand a copy of Seven Serpents, I have about 15 Colt Pythons to reference, and I have been over to coltfever dot com to try and figure this out and the information on this is scarce to say the least.

This morning a customer of mine walked in with a pair of Coly Python grips, stocks for some people, and was curious what they were worth. Upon initial inspection I believed them to be fake because as you can see they lack checkering, however my customer told me that the grips in question were pulled from a factory new 8 3/8" blued Python in the early 80s and this is a man I trust. He said he replaced these original grips with Pachmayrs and just kept these laying around.

After a bit of research I have found some sources that say Colt Custom Shop would supply smooth grips, with or without the Custom Shop medallion. The issue I'm running into here is that there are no marks anywhere on the grip to signify they came from Colt short of the medallion itself. The internal milling looks to be in the pattern of the 3rd generation Target grips. The grip screw seems correct, the internal and external patterns seem correct, but I am not able to find anything comparable with smooth grips like these.

Perhaps someone with some information on the Custom Shop grips of the time period could shed some light on these. Or if someone could point me to something I may be missing here.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,667 Posts
Colt did supply smooth grips made of fancy woods on special order, on Limited Production models, and sold them as after market accessories.
This type of grips were not used on standard production Pythons, so if they came on a Python the gun was either a special order, Limited Edition, or bought as after market.

"Usually" a custom order Python would have had other custom options like Elliason Target sights or a trigger job.
Limited Editions usually featured engraving or other decoration relating to a special event or occasion.

I'm no expert on woods but those are not American Walnut as Colt used for production grips.
Either they're Rosewood or something like Zebra wood, both of which Colt used for special orders and on Limited Production guns, and sold as after market.

To me they look like Colt grips that Colt used back then, but that's no guarantee.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Those grips look correct to me but I’m no expert. If you look closely at the horses head being under the letter “C”. Newer medallions are slightly offset clockwise ending up under the
O and L ,especially on newer model grips that go on the Python. Pete

Reactions: PhilFromUpstate

·
Registered
32 Posts
They certainly appear to be correct, the staking on the medallions looks correct. The shape and form look good. Did the previous owner get a letter from Colt for his Python? If he did it's possible that the grips where called out but not always.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you everyone for the insight, it has certainly helped and has been informative. I've looked over medallion verification and I have looked further into staking and the milling pattern on the inside of the grips and I am 98% sure these are Colt original grips. Now I just have the rather arduous task of trying to figure out what they are worth!

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I ordered some of these direct from Colt parts around 1985 for $85 a set. What are they worth?? Nowhere close to what he's asking. Absolutely ridiculous...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts