Colt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
From the photos, they appear so to me, but it is always possible that medallions were changed. Even then, they are still "correct". :cool:

Oh wait, you asked for a Python expert. :eek:

·
Registered
288 Posts
They look different from the stocks on my 1978 Python.

I'm no Python expert, maybe Colt made many variations of the wooden stocks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Those stocks look to be Colt Service Stocks from the pics but, Not 100% positive. Especially hard to tell from just pics but look good. I am certainly NOT an expert !!

Wild Will: Your Python is a 4" model and the stocks on it look correct. The stocks in the OP's question are for a 2 1/2" Python.

·
Premium Member
9,514 Posts
Colt did make "many variations of wooden stocks." Different models and different vintages have different styles of stocks. The stocks pictured would have been used on a Python with the 2.5-inch barrel. The 4-inch, 6-inch and 8-inch Pythons used wood target stocks, of which there are three styles used at different times of production. The 4-inch Python pictured has the third style of wood Python stocks.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all, As you know I am on a quest to find original colt "Service" grips for my 2.5" Python. Most everthing on gunbroker are aftermarket for very high $$.

Mafd2, what do the outside of the reproduction Python service stocks you have look like?

TIA

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you Mafd2 for the picture. They look like my current aftermarket grips. If you look at gunbroker, 90% of the stocks they are selling look like these. :)

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Thank you all, As you know I am on a quest to find original colt "Service" grips for my 2.5" Python. Most everthing on gunbroker are aftermarket for very high $$.

Mafd2, what do the outside of the reproduction Python service stocks you have look like?

TIA
These aren't mine but are on GB and as close to original as you will find. They have the blued screw and escutcheon nut and not brass like most aftermarket stocks.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
These aren't mine but are on GB and as close to original as you will find. They have the blued screw and escutcheon nut and not brass like most aftermarket stocks.
Thank you, however to me, they look like your aftermarket grips as well as mine. They have the thin border around the checkering. Is it possible the thin border is one of Colts original variations?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts