Colt Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
I don't have a trained eye and I can even tell they are real stag. Real stag just has that look which is hard to replicate.

·
Registered
552 Posts
There is a simple test you can do. It is the same as the test for genuine Ivory.
Remove the Stag grips from the pistol. Then, take a common sewing needle or straight pin and holding a sewing needle or straight pin with a pair of needle nose pliers, put the needle or pin into a gas stove flame until it glows bright red. Then, touch the point of the red hot needle/pin onto an inside part of the grip (where a small singe will not show when the grip is on the gun) and smell the smoke. If the smoke smells like burning hair, the grips are real. If they smell like anything else, they are probably fake.
Be carefull not to burn yourseolf, or the outside part of the grips while doing this.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
The Stocks look like some kind of Antler anyway, but they do not appear 'old' to my eye, and they do not fit well...and they are not necessarily Stag ( in the old sense of the word ) as such ( even if obviously taken from some sort of similarly textured basal Antler section of some sort of Cervidae or other ).

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
When I said "stag", I meant real antler. As I thought that is what stag means. What exactly is stag then? Or Sambar stag for that matter?

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
They are real Antler.

And, male Deer are often called 'Stags', so, yes, they are 'Stag'.

I did not mean to introduce any confusion!

Sorry...
Ok, yea that post confused me a bit. So stag does mean antler then. I will just google what real Sambar is then. I keep forgetting that it is so easy to google instead of asking on here all the time.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
In simple terms, Sambar stag is antler that comes from India. The next most common is European stag, which comes for the red stag of Europe. The red stag is about the same as elk here in the US, both the antler and the critter.

Friend of mine went on an elk hunt in Scandanavia. Elk there turns out to be our moose.

In Europe: Moose are elk, and elk are stags.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
Ya'll probably already know this, but the embargo on Sambar stag is in place to protect the Bengal tiger!

Say what?

Those who hunt for the shed stag antlers go into the bush country of India in search of the antlers. The Bengal tiger has learned that antler hunters are good to eat. So, the tiger lurks in the area where the deer roam. Along comes a hunter and, meat on the table, so to speak.

So, the hunters began carrying gun and shooting the tigers. So, no more antler hunting!

Bob Wright

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.