Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys: These grips are unmarked. Can anyone tell me if they are Ropers, Sanderson's, brand X, or some guy's garage project? They seem reasonably well made, and certainly feel nice in the hand. Thanks for any ID that can be offered on them.

Charlie Flick

·
Registered
97 Posts
It's my opinion that these probably aren't Roper stocks. I own a pair of Roper stocks fitted to a registered magnum, and have examined a couple dozen other pieces of his work over the years. I've posted three pics from Roper, Walter, Pistol & Revolver Shooting, Macmillan, New York, New York, 1945 that I hope will convey the style that's typical of Roper's work.

Of course, a customer could have provided Roper very detailed specs to execute. However, I'd think that something more of his "artistic voice" would have crept into the finished work nevertheless.

Your stocks do appear to be pretty well executed: the checkering is a bit rough, but that could well be the result of a mediocre touch up job.

Perhaps spmeone else will have an idea of who made these.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bfoster (edited 08-12-2004).]

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bob: Thanks very much for your helpful reply. I agree with you that my grips don't seem similiar in style to those Ropers you pictured. Maybe someone else here can help my narrow down the possibilities. Thanks again.

Charlie Flick

1 - 4 of 4 Posts