Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Wow...I don't know anything about forgeries but I would think that if this seller was putting out a "fugazy" 1911 he'd probably have to invest some serious coin to get all those documents and Colt together to look like they do. Fortunately, that is way above my pay grade otherwise.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well. The seller is adamant about not revealing the serial number, so I am out. It has nothing to do with the current $49,000 bid, with four days to go. No. It is because of the non-disclosure of the serial number. I am Out, with a capital O.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thats an amazing looking pistol. I'm sure if someone was serious with that kind of money to invest the owner would PM the serial no. If not I'd bet everyone's out.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,883 Posts
I am in awe of this wonderful example of our nation's history.

I am truly impressed, love the gun and love the story even more.

Check it out. Are there any other comparable examples? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/859075159
buster1652,

Your "Are there any other comparable examples?",---Comparable in a 3 digit original finish NAVY, or a 3 digit original finish NAVY well documented, or just a original finish High Polish NAVY. ?

Most likely, there are few known original finish High Polish M1911 Navy Pistols,...particularly the 3 digit Pistols (501 - 999). ?

Here's another 3 digit: https://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-semiauto-pistols/374437-colt-us-property-m1911-520-a.html

And, here's just another original finish High Polish NAVY: https://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-semiauto-pistols/357545-another-anniversary-10-apr-1912-m1911-high-polish-navy.html

Best Regards,

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
What the seller didn't mention is that Adm John S. Thach is the pilot that invented the "Thach Weave", which allowed the Wildcat to switch from easy prey of the Japanese Zeros to predator. It saved countless US pilots. It's still a viable tactic today. He was an ace, and was awarded pretty much everything short of the Medal of Honor, including the Navy Cross, Navy DSM, Silver Star and Bronze Star. To me that makes this pistol all the more special. The letter from Thach to Clawson was dated June 1980 and Adm Thach passed away in April 1981.

"Buy the gun not the story" but it's a pretty good story!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,611 Posts
I read the book by the Navy diver who was one of those working on the ships sunk at Pearl harbor.
They were mostly using the "Jack Browne" dive mask air supply system.

He wrote about the divers and other workers taking 1911 pistols from the wrecks, and how they got into serious trouble about it.
I think he said they had to turn in the guns they hadn't sold, and were in serous trouble both for stealing government property, but for robbing what were graves.
The divers were on the wrecks quickly to try to find trapped survivors, but I think it was some days or weeks before they started finding guns.
In that time I'd expect the guns to have begun to rust in the salt water.

·
Registered
8,942 Posts
That book described that activity - all of the 'found' pieces were refinished by Navy armorers - as well as the somewhat 'purple' money that flooded Pearl, stained by fuel and oil.

I still have a copy somewhere, and if I can find it, I'll post the title - it was a most interesting read, as the writer was a Navy diver and as such, he worked on sunken vessels throughout the Pacific.

I 'think' I was something like 'Descent Into Darkness'.

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
Another good book is by a gun mount sailor who was trapped when the Oklahoma capsized. But he eventually swam out, after a day of figuring out they'd never be able to cut them out.

Trapped at Pearl Harbor: Escape from Battleship Oklahoma

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Well for starters Chuck did not live in Ft .Wayne in 1980 or 82 or 83 not sure when he moved there but it was well after 1980 he lived in Anarbor MI in 1980 also the NEV is under the finish. I have Chucks serial number list dated may1994 and that pistol is NOT on it . I talked to another member of this group and he been to Chucks house many many times and never seen that pistol furthermore why would he not have put it in his books first book was published in 1991 . That would have been one of Chucks favorite guns if the story were true also I bet the guy Chuck supposedly sold it to is also dead so no fact checking there .too many things on the gun makes no sense . I would be calling Turnbull on that frame .

·
Registered
6,331 Posts
As I understand it there were 100 pistols (1911-1911A1) issued to each battleship. If the "NAV" mark is genuine, presumably the remaining 99 guns are similarly marked. Are there any other known examples of arms with this mark?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Not sure what role Navy divers would have had in recovering any pistols from the Nevada. The ship was grounded and did not sink, though it dropped below the waterline. Most likely the guns stayed with the ship throughout WWII. The seller does state it remained with the Navy until 1946. Any use would have been limited to the shore patrol and guard duty.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts