Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aren't the "shorter" Hornady 45LC brass OK for loading 45 Schofield or 455 Webley?

I've tried to sell 100+ short 45LC brass as suitable for reloading its predecessors, to no avail. What am I missing? Other dimensions not appropriate or unsafe?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
NO !!! You are not seeing the EXACT and appropriate dimensions correctly. LOOK at the rim thickness on the 455Webley : look presisely at the correct LOA of the 45S&W cartridge case. NOW...why should anyone buy case that they have to " fix ' when the EXACT correct case, headstamp and all, is easily available in the marketplace ??
And so it goes...

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
And look at the length of the .455 Webley MK II case as well. If you try to make a .455 MK II case from .45 Colt, you have to:

• Trim the case to length.
  • Skive the case to ~0.454" ID so the case won't bulge when the bullet is inserted. Case walls are thicker that far down in a .45 Colt case.
  • Trim about 0.010-0.015 from the front of the rim. It's a tricky job, even with a lathe.

That's a lot of work, when as Will says, the .455 MK II cases are readily available from StarLine. Ask me how I know.

Buck

Reactions: Walstr

·
Registered
98 Posts
I called Starline and was told they are "considering" a run of .455, but as yet are too busy with other projects. This was several years back....so most likely it ain't happening.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wil Terry & Haggis; Thanks for the education, friends. After accumulating said cases, I did not [obviously] research why I shouldn't offer then for sale rather than scrap 'em, just continued loading projects, etc.

Wally

1 - 7 of 7 Posts