Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an Argentine contract Colt DA New Army Model 1895 revolver in their collection? The revolver would be in the 80xxx to 849xx serial number range. About 5000 were made for Argentina by Colt in 1895. To the best of my knowledge none have been released... One just showed up with most of the markings obliterated. I have been collecting the Colt DA models for quite a number of years and never have seen one... Can any one help me out with info on them?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Interesting question,coltdaguy! Got me wondering. Wilson & Sutherland say the guns were barrel roll marked,and some naval guns(Armada Argentina on side plate)) in other serial number ranges were shipped with 5" bbls. hard rubber grips and butt swivels. We know that Argentina began to buy the Colt 1911 around 1916 and built guns down there,both as outright copies and then the Balista Molista(sp). Some of these automatics were imported back to the U.S. in the 1980's,but I don't recall any of the revolvers. Maybe as early as the 1960's "surplus dealers" brought in Argentine weapons,but again, I don't recall any 1895 revolvers, but if I have time this weekend,I will check ads in some Am. Riflemans from that era. Doubt,if these revolvers were in the best of shape,as they are quite "frail". U.S. got rid of most of theirs in the 1920's,but I recall, some were found,probably Navy ship small arms locker stores,and sent to Britain around 1940,when that "gun control" nation appeared to be about to be invaded;they'd take anything that would shoot. I have seen one of these with British proofmarks. Bud

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lonewolf:
Interesting question,coltdaguy! Got me wondering. Wilson & Sutherland say the guns were barrel roll marked,and some naval guns(Armada Argentina on side plate)) in other serial number ranges were shipped with 5" bbls. hard rubber grips and butt swivels. We know that Argentina began to buy the Colt 1911 around 1916 and built guns down there,both as outright copies and then the Balista Molista(sp). Some of these automatics were imported back to the U.S. in the 1980's,but I don't recall any of the revolvers. Maybe as early as the 1960's "surplus dealers" brought in Argentine weapons,but again, I don't recall any 1895 revolvers, but if I have time this weekend,I will check ads in some Am. Riflemans from that era. Doubt,if these revolvers were in the best of shape,as they are quite "frail". U.S. got rid of most of theirs in the 1920's,but I recall, some were found,probably Navy ship small arms locker stores,and sent to Britain around 1940,when that "gun control" nation appeared to be about to be invaded;they'd take anything that would shoot. I have seen one of these with British proofmarks. Bud<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for checking! I found the Argentine contract guns listed in Colt's shipping records while I was doing research on these guns at Colt for my book. The five inch barrel models were for the Argentine Army. The Navy models were six inch barrels and were in the 73xxx to 74xxx serial number range. The five inch barrel models had "Modello Argentino 1895" on the right side of the barrel. It would be interesting to know if any were imported into the US... One did show up here and possibly a second one... these are the only ones I know of for sure. If anyone else has a Colt DA 1895 in the 80xxx to 849xx range I would sure like to hear about it. Would also like to know if you find any import ads... THANKS! Bob Best

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lonewolf:
Maybe as early as the 1960's "surplus dealers" brought in Argentine weapons,but again, I don't recall any 1895 revolvers, but if I have time this weekend,I will check ads in some Am. Riflemans from that era. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Lonewolf,

Did you happen to have an opportunity to check any of those old publications for Argentine Contract 1895s ??? Thanks for looking! Bob Best

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Not good news Bob. Saw NO ads in quite a few Am. Riflemens from early 50's to late 60's. But,it was evident that the "Argies" were getting rid of older weapons. I had forgotten that a decade after the Colts were purchased,they bought many 1905 Mannlicher semi-auto pistols,with that strange 7.65 cartridge. These were going between $45-80 and the early 60's,and of course those beautiful German made Argentine Mausers,7.65 rifles,with the box mag below the trigger guard. I guess my "gut" feeling is that,as you well know,these "left wheeler Colts" were not popular with shooters/collectors at this time. Even when I got seriously into guns "again",in the early 1980,s they could be bought very cheaply. Their "lockwork" is weak vs. the later,post 1908,or so, Colt DAs,so I don't know what the market would've been here. Yet,Swiss army revolvers,the folding trigger Italians,and some of the earlier Webleys with the round butt were in ads. Who knows??? Bud

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not good news Bob. Saw NO ads in quite a few Am. Riflemens from early 50's to late 60's. But,it was evident that the "Argies" were getting rid of older weapons. I had forgotten that a decade after the Colts were purchased,they bought many 1905 Mannlicher semi-auto pistols,with that strange 7.65 cartridge. These were going between $45-80 and the early 60's,and of course those beautiful German made Argentine Mausers,7.65 rifles,with the box mag below the trigger guard. I guess my "gut" feeling is that,as you well know,these "left wheeler Colts" were not popular with shooters/collectors at this time. Even when I got seriously into guns "again",in the early 1980,s they could be bought very cheaply. Their "lockwork" is weak vs. the later,post 1908,or so, Colt DAs,so I don't know what the market would've been here. Yet,Swiss army revolvers,the folding trigger Italians,and some of the earlier Webleys with the round butt were in ads. Who knows??? Bud<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for checking to see if you could find any ads... I suspect they are sitting in some warehouse someplace in Argentina... One "liberated" model showed up here, but no one knew what it was... The crest was ground off the side plate as was the "Modello Argentino 1895" on the barrel. I talked about them in a section of my book on the Colt New Army and Navy Models, but in all my years of collecting, I had never seen one until now. I was hoping that one of the forum members might have had another one so I could compare them, but it doesn't seem like anyone has one... Thanks for taking the time to check it out for me! :) Bob Best

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hello,
This post looks quite old, but I wanted to let you know that actually I have a Colt "modelo argentino 1895". It is not in very good shape but the typical markings can still be readen. I'll try to add some pictures if somebody is interested.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Hello,
This post looks quite old, but I wanted to let you know that actually I have a Colt "modelo argentino 1895". It is not in very good shape but the typical markings can still be readen. I'll try to add some pictures if somebody is interested.

Pictures or it didn't happen.............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts