Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was out Quail hunting yesterday and came up on some old rust cans that were very old. This is not that uncommon in some of the remote places I hike. It was about a mile from any established road. As I was looking around I found this. At first I thought it was a gear, but after looking around I began to think maybe it was the rowel from a spur. It is 1" in diameter and 1/8" thick. I find weird stuff all the time but am I crazy in thinking this is part or a spur?

Attachments

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
It's a gear from the Hillary Clinton machine after the election...old, rusty and left in the dirt.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Nice find, Trapdoor, and if you're wondering....... the "wheel" on a spur is called a "Rowel"

Who knows how old that is, and I'll bet Wyatt Earp's been looking for that for quite some time now.

Bud
Keep digging, and perhaps you'll find the horse as well.

Here's a pair of my old spurs
Buds_Spurs.jpg

So I was out Quail hunting yesterday and came up on some old rust cans that were very old. This is not that uncommon in some of the remote places I hike. It was about a mile from any established road. As I was looking around I found this. At first I thought it was a gear, but after looking around I began to think maybe it was the wheel from a spur. It is 1" in diameter and 1/8" thick. I find weird stuff all the time but am I crazy in thinking this is part or a spur?

·
Registered
10,819 Posts
....... the "wheel" on a spur is called a "Rowel"
Now I know where the name "rowel" hammer came from for a Commander hammer. I had wondered why it was called that. Thanks for the educmacation!

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
It's called a 'rowel' - pinned to the shaft of the spur, they are known to go missing.

And before someone asks - no, there's no way to know what spur it was attached to - they were replaceable parts.

·
Registered
152 Posts
As a point of information, this style of rowel was/is pretty severe on a horse. Of course, the degree of severity is a function of how it is used. A "good hand" with lots of feel could use these successfully with out damage to the horse; the "not so good hand" could ruin a horse pretty quick through indiscriminate use. Arguably a good hand never need these kind of spur rowels. These were "stickers" not communication devices.

Ed

Reactions: ei8ht

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
You just touch the side of the horse/mule with any type with spurs. It's not like long spikes on a rowel are meant to stab into the flesh. Put your hand against some spurs sometime, the points on the sides of the center one basically stop the center from really going in. Equines are 1,000 lb animals that rub against cactus, mesquite thorns stick them, and more. They hardly flinch.

·
Premium Member
10,265 Posts
"Rowel" Exactly...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts

I wear these...

The top pair is a set I'd bought for our Spur Ceremony', when I command a Cav Squadron- all of the Officers and senior NCOs got them.

The second pair are 'North and Judd 'Horsehead' spurs from the era.

But these are the original pair I'd earned when I flew with the Cav - a long, long time go - in a galaxy far, far away...

They're Buermann's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts