Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anybody recognize this one? I got the runaround with the (local) seller refusing a face to face deal. The ad has since been flagged as a scam. Good ol' ARMSLIST. Shifty moves and a thick foreign accent on the phone. Out of state area code. The whole bit. ARMSLIST - For Sale: Colt Python 6" Blue .357 Excellent!
You should ask him to wire you $89.95 to open a specialized, numbered Nigerian Bank Account that you will deposit the sale price + the $89.95 into for him to collect once his wire clears. :)

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I turned away from ARMSLIST for that reason. The last straw was a book--A BOOK! that got flagged as a scam. Now, I'm getting tempted back in a little bit--mainly because I'm looking to sell some odds and ends locally.

In the meantime I got rusty on ARMSLIST what to watch out for. Which is what? Basically everything.

But, yeah. It kind of figures that the very first thing I inquire about--okay it WAS a Python which is what, a warning flag in and of itself.

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
I too have bought and sold on armslist. Things to look for from a scammer are:

Their city and state are the same name.

They are not registered users.

They don’t reply to emails asking for a phone number.

The asking price for the gun is too low.

They won’t do a face to face sale.

If you watch the ad long enough the sellers location will change to the other side of the country.

·
Premium Member
6,113 Posts
A Colt/Sako 243 deluxe bolt action rifle was for sale on gunbroker and I believe sold. Now the same pictures are for sale on armslist for less. I too have made good deals on armslist but only face to face.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
A Colt/Sako 243 deluxe bolt action rifle was for sale on gunbroker and I believe sold. Now the same pictures are for sale on armslist for less. I too have made good deals on armslist but only face to face.
It happened to me a few years ago: Sold a high dollar gun on Gunbroker, and pretty soon thereafter it appeared on Armslist at half price. Same pictures, same text, but different "seller". I emailed him, and was offered to buy at 1/3 price. I asked if I could send a friend for an FTF, but unfortunately the seller was in one state, the gun in another state, and the phone number he gave me was from a third state, so an FTF was "impossible to arrange". Armslist was quick to react though, it was flagged just hours after I reported it.

BTW: I laughed when I read that "I've tried to take decent pics of the gun so you can look it over", and there's only two pictures. The guy is really making an effort, isn't he? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had one of my customers tell me that he had posted a gun for sale on Armslist. My first thoughts - Oh no he got scammed. He did/didn't. He thought it was strange when the person who wanted to buy the gun sent him a check for more than double the asking price and just told him to deposit it and send him the excess back (in the form of a money order or Western Union payment) as he had written the check then realized he wrote it for too much once he sent it and didn't want to cancel the check and write a new one. I asked him if he had sent the gun and he didn't (he told me when it sells he'll have me ship it to the FFL). Told him it was a typical scam. He figured it was and told the guy no sale I'm tearing up the check. I told him to write VOID on the front and keep it as a reminder about scams. This customer is not your normal customer, he is a Foreign National from China who is going to Penn State to get his Electrical Engineering PhD. Because of this status he has an F1 visa which allows those with that type visa to get a hunting license and buy firearms, including NFA firearms. They can't however, take the guns with them when the graduate and go back to their home country. Normally they bring them to me to be sold on consignment. He is smart enough to figure out the gun auction sites and asks me for advice when he needs it (he didn't on this one but now will). I told him to stay away from Armslist unless he wants to be inundated by scammers.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I had one of my customers tell me that he had posted a gun for sale on Armslist. My first thoughts - Oh no he got scammed. He did/didn't. He thought it was strange when the person who wanted to buy the gun sent him a check for more than double the asking price and just told him to deposit it and send him the excess back (in the form of a money order or Western Union payment) as he had written the check then realized he wrote it for too much once he sent it and didn't want to cancel the check and write a new one. I asked him if he had sent the gun and he didn't (he told me when it sells he'll have me ship it to the FFL). Told him it was a typical scam. He figured it was and told the guy no sale I'm tearing up the check. I told him to write VOID on the front and keep it as a reminder about scams. This customer is not your normal customer, he is a Foreign National from China who is going to Penn State to get his Electrical Engineering PhD. Because of this status he has an F1 visa which allows those with that type visa to get a hunting license and buy firearms, including NFA firearms. They can't however, take the guns with them when the graduate and go back to their home country. Normally they bring them to me to be sold on consignment. He is smart enough to figure out the gun auction sites and asks me for advice when he needs it (he didn't on this one but now will). I told him to stay away from Armslist unless he wants to be inundated by scammers.
Yep, this is a very typical scam: Send a bad check for an excessive amount of money, then ask the seller to deduct the actual selling price and return the rest. Western Union is their weapon of choice, so I would be very suspicious of anyone who prefers this type of payment, regardless of the transaction.

·
Registered
564 Posts
armlist works just fine if you meet ftf to do the transaction.......
Yep. There are definitely scammers out there, but they're easy to spot and if you can't set up a face to face deal locally, you just don't do the deal. As simple as that. I've had a lot of luck dealing on Armslist. I've also run into a lot of scams and just ignored them and reported them. I see these ads for Colt revolvers all the time like OP posted. City and State are the same (no locality listed) and the price is too low. Always a scam. But you'll never get them to meet you locally, so you never have to worry about being ripped off.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The scams are so easy spot I'm surprised anyone falls for them. In the linked ad there are a number of tells.

1. The user created the account the day the ad was placed.
2. The location is Minnesota, Minnesota
3. Shipping - No, but they won't meet FTF.
4. Action - Single Shot.
5. You can copy and paste the description into Google and you get many hits for the exact same ad word for word.
6. Half price gun.

I wouldn't even think about contacting the seller. I don't want them to have my email address or phone number. Just flag it and move on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts