Colt Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 38 spl "army special" I frame as new today at a pawn shop for 269.00. I am mostly a Smith collector but figured it was worth that. Can any body tell me about the gun. I thik 90's production. Is it worth what I paid as a shooter? It has a great action

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
dogdoc; Welcome to the Colt Forum. I collect & shoot both makes-why not? Anyway,without the serial number,cant tell the year-But- The Army Special(roll marked on barrel) was produced from 1908 to 1926,then,with different roll markings,and walnut grips,instead of the hard rubber on most of the Army Specials until the last couple of years,it became the Official Police,which more reflected who was buying it. .38 Special was most common,then 32/20,with .41 Colt bringing up the rear. While a few had "odd length" barrels, 4", 5 1/2", and 6" were "standard". I currently have a 32/20 and .41 Colt (plus "many O.P.s),they are a slightly heavier & stronger gun than the S&W M&P. That said, I would NOT recommend using +Ps out of an Army Special or a pre war O.P.These guns are starting to rise in value,and I can recall 20 or so years ago,that S&W M&Ps were higher than Colts in the "shooter grade". Not any more,the "stock" of mint Army Specials(and O.Ps) have risen among collectors-as has the price. Looks like you got a VERY Good price,especially for a P.D. marked specimen! Hope this helps a little. Bud

1 - 2 of 2 Posts