Colt Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend at the local gun show I bought a very nice condition 4" .32-20 Army Special (ca. 1912) with good un-chipped original black hard rubber grips. I don't know much about the AS, other than that they are pretty much identical to the later OP (I also have a .32-20 OP). Does anyone have an idea of the relative number of AS revolvers made in .32, .38, and .41 calibers? This AS is the only one I remember seeing chambered in .32-20. I went $425 on it, but only because it spoke to me and was in .32-20.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
DWalt,

I can't help with the number manufactured in the different calibers, but I agree with you; the Army Special in .32-20 just skoke to me too. I really like the feel of this revolver in my hand. Do you have any photos of yours to share!

Here is a photo of mine manufactured in 1920:

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

·
The Consummate Collector
7,950 Posts
The Army Special was first introduced in 1908 and was the successor to the New Army and New Navy revolver. Colt produced over 200,000 of them and the vast majority were chambered in .38. If I had to guess the number of .32-20 and .41 caliber I would say that maybe 10%-15% were in 32-20 and only about 3%-5% were sold in the .41 caliber. This estimate is from my long time experience of collecting them and not fact based. The Official Police was the successor to the Army Special and most were sold in .38 caliber. Colt did build about 15,000 pre war Official Police in .22 caliber and all but a few had the 6" barrel. This run of guns had there own serial number range. Colt also offered the Official Police in the 32-20 caliber however they were not very popular and the sales of these was small. They are available and therefore can't be considered rare. Colt did build a few Official Police in .41 caliber and these are very rare. I have been looking for one for the past 40 years.
Here are a few Army Special's in 32-20 in the 4", 5" & 6" barrel lengths:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
The commercial New Army used a checked hard rubber stock with the Rampant Colt in the circle at the top. The commercial New Navy used a checked hard rubber stock with the word "COLT" at the top; it looked like the hard rubber stocks for the New Service. Both the New Army and New Navy hard rubber stocks can fit on and Army Special, however.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.