Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, but longtime lurker.

I've got a Colt 1917 revolver in very nice condition. It has the military matte finish with the "brush marks", and enough wear to look original, BUT while the JMG ("John Gibert?") acceptance stamp (left side, just above the cylinder release) is crisp, the rampant Colt stamping on the left side plate is faint.

In addition to the serial number on the frame in the crane recess, and on the crane (181XXX), there is an additional number, 4240, on the crane, frame, AND again on the barrel. The barrel has the expected "Colt .45 DA" on the left of the barrel, Colt patents on the top, and on the underside is the property stamp. The butt has the lanyard, and is marked "U.S. Army model 1917", and 30XXX.

The crane recess is also stamped with the letter "X" just above the 4240, and a small letter "H" - which from earlier posts I'm assuming represents "Frances Hosmer", and the number 5. The underneath of the barrel is also stamped with the small letter "H" on the barrel shoulder.

I've searched the forum and from previous posts it sounds like the gun is an arsenal refinish, BUT it does not have an "AA" stamped above the triggerguard. Is this a significant problem? Any ideas what the "X" stamp in the frame's crane recess designates?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Welcoome to the Forum, TooTech.

A great first question that I don't have the answer for. I like the old M1917's so am interested in any replies given by our illustrious team of experts.

Does your revolver have a "blue" finish or a grey/green finish?

My Colt M1917 is a grand old shooter with perhaps 75% original finish. I've never been any good at assigning percentile values to degrees of finish. It shows the lack of attention to final polish that was SOP when it was made.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome, and nice 1917s!

My Colt has the gray/green finish that resembles parkerizing. Looks very similar to the Colt in your picture.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Sounds like an arsenal rework to me. I wonder what places it's seen and what stories it could tell. Was it reworked after service in World War I?

How long have you had it? Do you know anything about its history?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 1917 is a recent acquisition. Don't know any of it's history, kind of a shame how the stories get lost as these guns change hands.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Very nice. The reason I asked about the chambers is that supposedly the first 50,000 Colt 1917s were bored straight through. I've owned several '17s and handled a bunch more, but haven't seen one yet.

Not saying they are not out there; just hadn't run up on one yet.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Muley Gil:

I haven't seen one either though I've always heard about them.

Tootech:

Many thanks for the photos. Your M1917 has an appealing look about it to me. It could be a dark parkerizing but your revolver looks blued to me. The marking "Colt D.A. 45" appears to be smaller than the similar marking on my revolver but I don't have it to hand to make the comparison. I've never before noticed any hand punched numerals on the bottom of the barrel of a M1917 next to the "UNITED STATES PROPERTY" marking. I'm not the last word on Colt Model 1917 revolvers so perhaps one of the "heavy hitters" will weigh in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It looks like an original brush blue finish to me. The letters on the side of the barrel were the same size as mine and the brush marks on the right side of the frame look like mine. Do you have the same four numbers on the frame under the cylinder crane?

Beautiful revolver though.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Hi Reddogge & TooTech,

For what its worth, I have a rework quite similiar to yours... only the number under the barrel is "5110". Finish looks identical... a Rework. Bob Best

1 - 13 of 13 Posts