Colt Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
I contacted Rob today. He has quite a backlog of work and can't take my gun right now so I'm going to get on his waiting list to have a set of grips made for the Colt custom shop gun I just bought.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Very nicely made grips! I like the fact that they were completely finished, with several coats of shiny varnish (or oil), before the checkering was executed.

·
Registered
366 Posts
So, having talked to Rob, I have an idea of about what you must have paid to have those grips made. I'm not going to post it here though as I'm not here to judge and, quite frankly, I think it was totally worth it. Which leads me to a question, do you shoot those guns? If not, do you plan on shooting them? They appear to be unfired and unturned at least to my untrained eye. Have you had any action work done on them?

They are absolutely gorgeous but with what you must have in them I would be a little hesitant to shoot them. ;) Man, they would look good in a nice cowboy rig though.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
SDRider, I brought the set back to Colt in Connecticut a few years back because I wanted the full bushing in both of them. I realize I could of had them drilled out but it's what I wanted. Colt installed new cylinders with the full length bushings for a nominal fee. I haven't shot or turned them. I have a few first Gens that I'm happy to have and other newer Colts. I use too shoot plenty of pistol competitions way back then but now only shoot long range. I have some nerve damage in my neck so I kind of shake a bit so no more pistol competitions. Handguns were always my thing and I do love the Colt SAA's. The next one will have to be engraved.....now were talking money!:rolleyes: It's like a love affair with these things. ..we're all a bunch of Casanova's when it comes to our Colt SAA....can't dance with just one:cool:

·
Registered
366 Posts
SDRider, I brought the set back to Colt in Connecticut a few years back because I wanted the full bushing in both of them. I realize I could of had them drilled out but it's what I wanted. Colt installed new cylinders with the full length bushings for a nominal fee. I haven't shot or turned them. I have a few first Gens that I'm happy to have and other newer Colts. I use too shoot plenty of pistol competitions way back then but now only shoot long range. I have some nerve damage in my neck so I kind of shake a bit so no more pistol competitions. Handguns were always my thing and I do love the Colt SAA's. The next one will have to be engraved.....now were talking money!:rolleyes: It's like a love affair with these things. ..we're all a bunch of Casanova's when it comes to our Colt SAA....can't dance with just one:cool:
Believe me, I totally get it. I was just curious. I’m not proficient enough to attempt competitive shooting myself, I just enjoy plinking for fun.

They look stunning with those grips and I’d have a tough time deciding if I wanted to use them or not. Heck, I go back and forth on an early 3rd gen gun I own for some reason. I really didn’t mean anything by the comment.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
SDRider, I hope you didn't think you said anything wrong. I certainly don't think you did. I'm glad you called Rob and got on his list. It seems like everyone is calling the poor guy!:D He'll be working till he old and grey! LOL!

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Smutt, beautiful grips! It's too bad that I waited so long to have some ivories with checkering put on some of my other Colt SAA's. In fact, it took me a while but I really like the Mexican Eagle with snake pattern. Well, that time has come and gone due to the imbeciles who have screw it up for the rest of us.

·
Registered
366 Posts
SDRider, I hope you didn't think you said anything wrong. I certainly don't think you did. I'm glad you called Rob and got on his list. It seems like everyone is calling the poor guy!:D He'll be working till he old and grey! LOL!
Thank you. I wasn't sure as it can sometimes be difficult to figure out how someone takes a comment on an internet forum. :)

How old is Rob anyway? He was really nice and easy to deal with through e-mail. He already sent me some pictures of wood blanks and set aside a nice one of my choosing.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Smutt, beautiful grips! It's too bad that I waited so long to have some ivories with checkering put on some of my other Colt SAA's. In fact, it took me a while but I really like the Mexican Eagle with snake pattern. Well, that time has come and gone due to the imbeciles who have screw it up for the rest of us.
Depending what state you live in and how far you’re willing to travel you can still get some made.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
It seems like everyone is calling the poor guy!:D He'll be working till he old and grey! LOL!
Not a bad problem to have if you’re making money, just don’t want to overbook your jobs cause customers will get antsy if they have to wait to long.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If you go to his web site you can see some pictures of him on a hunt in Africa. Hard to tell but his hair is pretty dark in the
pictures ....so he probably hasn't hit 50 yet;)

21 - 36 of 36 Posts