Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the position where I need to sell my Colt Collection of 2nd Generation Blackpowder Revolvers. After speaking to auction houses I realize that between 30 - 40% will need to be reduced from the full potential value due to auction commissions and fees. I have sold through GB on my own with good success, but never a collection of 50 guns of the same theme. Do I lose any advantages not having the entire collection displayed at a big auction house? Any other comments are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Sell them yourself on GB or Auctionarms. You will not need FFLs, of course, since they are BP. If you have a fair price in mind it is even easier to sell them on this forum though. No fees and off to a good home.
The biggest pain is the actual shipping. ANother option is to get a table at the next local gun show...that will divest yourself of most of them and will be an opportunity to get rid of a few other shooting odds & ends around your house.

·
Premium Member
6,463 Posts
Sell them yourself. Put realistic prices on them and they will move. I'd sell them individually. List them in the Classified Section of this forum and see how many bites you get. These are starting to really come into their own in terms of being collectable. Good luck. As always, JMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,463 Posts
Wow.....30 to 40 percent of a deduct to the seller and they are charging buyers 15% or so buyer's premium?

No wonder there are so many auction companies out there.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Several of us here collect the 2nd gen bp revolvers so i'm sure you could sell some of those here. I for one would be intrested. You can send me a pm if you like of what you have for sale and the prices.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Yes, list them on here. I would be interested as well.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I would be interested in any 1860 Army's you might have.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd also welcome the opportunity to bid on some of them--Do you have an inventory sheet? I'll be getting to this point in the future, and would like to know how this goes for you.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I am in the position where I need to sell my Colt Collection of 2nd Generation Blackpowder Revolvers. After speaking to auction houses I realize that between 30 - 40% will need to be reduced from the full potential value due to auction commissions and fees. I have sold through GB on my own with good success, but never a collection of 50 guns of the same theme. Do I lose any advantages not having the entire collection displayed at a big auction house? Any other comments are greatly appreciated.
I know then man you need to talk to at a large auction company, he can give you a much better deal on commission than you have mentioned and get you top money for you guns. If you are interested PM me and I will give you the details. I do not have a dog in the race, but I can give you a solid lead on how to properly sell your items. The place I will reffer you to is world class, they sell millions of dollars of antique firearms and are experts. I sell around 1800 collector type guns a year myself, but I sell modern. But I do know where to go with an antique. Auction houses do make money but they can get more for your guns than you or I ever can. Its a trade off to some degree, but wouldnt you rather have one reasonable check and be done with it ? You can piece them out and everyone will want to cherry pick the best ones and leave you with the duds. Send them to the right auction and get paid, most houses are outragous but not all. Its competitve and commisions can be negociated.

John Fugate

·
Registered
253 Posts
WOW Good luck whatever you decide, but please let the members here know so where ever you go, we may have a chnce to participate..Good luck parting with what must be a part of yourself!

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I'd sell them myself, if in your shoes. I don't think an auction house will gain you anything with 2nd Gen blackpowder guns. I'd post them on the classified board here first, then go to Gunbroker with whatever didn't sell. Take your time. Sell them at your own pace. I think you'll be pleased with how it goes.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Info sent per PM,,It took a lifetime for you to aquire your collection which took lots of patience. Use your patience when choosing a method to liquidate. You have lots of options, look at them all. I wish you the best with your collection.

John Fugate

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Good luck which ever way you decide to go. I would be interested in some of them also, so please let us know where they go.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Pick one of them and place it on Gunbroker.com for a penny with no reserve. Make sure it starts and ends on a Sat or Sun in the evening. Just sell one on Gunbroker that way. People freak out and fear that it will only sell for $10 since there is no reserve. It will never happen. It sounds like you have some very quality Colts. Take quality close up photos showing every angle. Don't take photos in bright sun. Don't take photos of the gun flat on a table with the camera directly above the gun. Prop the gun on its box or a powder flask. Make the photos look to the viewers like they could just pick it up.

You will be shocked at how many views and bidders you will get and how high the price will be and how much money you will pocket. I've sold guns on Gunbroker with this method and I've NEVER lost. I've gotten more than three times what the current "blue book" value of guns is supposed to be.

Try just one of your guns on Gunbroker if you truly want to get the absolute maximum amount of money for them.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Pick one of them and place it on Gunbroker.com for a penny with no reserve. Make sure it starts and ends on a Sat or Sun in the evening. Just sell one on Gunbroker that way. People freak out and fear that it will only sell for $10 since there is no reserve. It will never happen. It sounds like you have some very quality Colts. Take quality close up photos showing every angle. Don't take photos in bright sun. Don't take photos of the gun flat on a table with the camera directly above the gun. Prop the gun on its box or a powder flask. Make the photos look to the viewers like they could just pick it up.

You will be shocked at how many views and bidders you will get and how high the price will be and how much money you will pocket. I've sold guns on Gunbroker with this method and I've NEVER lost. I've gotten more than three times what the current "blue book" value of guns is supposed to be.

Try just one of your guns on Gunbroker if you truly want to get the absolute maximum amount of money for them.
How many second genration Black Powders have you sold like this on gunbroker ? Is gunbroker the best place to sell a 50 gun collection of second genration Colt Black Powders with no reserve ? If this gentleman was selling modern Colts, I would say go for it.

John

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How many second genration Black Powders have you sold like this on gunbroker ? Is gunbroker the best place to sell a 50 gun collection of second genration Colt Black Powders with no reserve ? If this gentleman was selling modern Colts, I would say go for it.

John
I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable putting my 1861 Navy in stainless out there with no reserve.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts