Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took some fire power to the range this week and one gun that I fired was my Colt Defender. I have fired this gun before without incident, but it was kickin shell caseings back at me. One hit my head and blood trickled down. What's wrong with this thing? Any ideas? Going to gun show in Atlanta this weekend and this one may go on the auction block. It's and otherwise great gun, has Crimson Trace laser grips, but I was crimson traced by it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Imthuduke:

Where's the show in Atlanta. I want to GO.

I am thinking about buying a Colt Defender.

Any comments ????

thanks,

Al

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Al

Here is the info...Sep 18-19 Atlanta, State farmers Market http://www.georgiamountain.com/
Never been to this one so don't know if its big or small, good or bad...just going to go look for son-in-law a Super Redhawk to deer hunt with and pick up an Ed Brown Kobra Carry at Bernie's outdoor. Know where that is in Lilburn Ga?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have not been to that Gun Show either. It's on the South side of Atlanta on I 75. (don't know if it's a good one or not)

I'm thinking about a Colt Defender for my "carry gun". Can you enlighten me at all ? [recoil, durability, $$$, ect. (the Defender or the Kimber Ultra CDP 11)

Bernie's Outdoor in Lilburn is a new one on me - but if you need some help finding it, just let me know and I will get the directions for you.

Thanks,

Al

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Al,

I really like the Defender and an not sure I want to depart with it. It's a great little but powerful gun. I would recommend it...I know nothing about the Kimbers but have heard good reports. I think maybe it was the cheap ammo I fired, it did not do that with the good stuff.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Empties ejecting straight back:

Weak recoil spring. Replace the spring every 500 to 1000 rounds. Short guns wear out the springs faster that Government models.

Weak extractor tension. Check tension with the slide off the receiver and barrel out of the slide, the extractor should hold a loaded 230 grain round and not let it drop out.

Extractor rotating slightly within the tunnel. Common problem, the solution is to fit an oversize firing pin stop. Highly recommed the flat bottom stop from EGW since it will also slightly delay unlocking of the pistol as well. The flat bottom stop was the original John Moses Browning design, the radiused stop was the brain child of the U.S. Army.

Shock buffer on the recoil spring guide rod causing short stroking of the slide. Shock buffers have no place on 1911's with barrels shorter than 5 inches. Go ahead, ask me how I know, just don't stare at the scars on my forehead.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stans,

Excellent info...I wish I understood all I know about what you said. You know what you re talking about, I just know it hit me on the noggin. I think I best take it to a gun smith.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Make sure you take it to a gunsmith that really understands 1911's, especially the short models. Waaaay to many gunsmiths screw up good guns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts