Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or, phrased differently, at what Serial No. and Year, roughly, did the New Service cease to have the earlier plain 'straight' type non-Bolstered at the rear Barrel?

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Or, phrased differently, at what serial number and year did the New Service get the bolster barrel? According to Murphy, at about serial number 143,000 in year 1919.

·
Premium Member
5,512 Posts
That's interesting, considering the Model 1917 had the bolster barrel. Was civilian manufacture suspended during WWI?

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I believe that was the case at S&W as the Army nationalized the S&W plant for M1917 manufacture for some period during WWI. I don't believe that happened at Colt, but they were plenty busy cranking out MGs, M1911s, and M1917s for the military, so I doubt there was any production capacity available for the civilian market. Wasn't the Colt M1917 a New Service?

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
The bolstered barrel was introduced on the M1917 at about serial number 150,000. I have been researching the region from serial number 143,000 to 150,000, and the few that I have seen appear to have straight barrels, but I don't have many examples yet. There appear to have been civilian examples up to about 150,000, but few examples have had pictures. We need more photos, if someone has them.

Buck

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
A military Model 1917 is NOT a commercial New Service, even though it is based on the commercial New Service. The question was about the commercial New Service, not about the military Model 1917. The Model 1917 always had the bolster barrel so the question would not be relevant in regard to the Model 1917.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I believe the bolstered barrel on the 1917 is because the army tials of 1907 had a barrel come unscrewed on one of the colt new services. I don't have any proof of this.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
A military Model 1917 is NOT a commercial New Service, even though it is based on the commercial New Service. The question was about the commercial New Service, not about the military Model 1917. The Model 1917 always had the bolster barrel so the question would not be relevant in regard to the Model 1917.
Sorry, Judge, but you've permuted this question so that it matches your meanings and definitions, not necessarily those of the OP. There was no mention of "commercial" New Service in the original post - you interpreted it as that. Second, the M1917 is not based on the New Service, it is a New Service. M1917's have Colt serial numbers in the Colt New Service serial number order. But if you want to continue to pick insignificant nits,
  • The bolstered barrel was introduced in 1917 at about serial number 150,000 for the M1917. I have seen some evidence that commercial New Services in the range 143,000-150,000 had straight barrels and were made in 1917 before October. I will happily welcome any evidence to the contrary.
  • All (with the exception of some parts guns) of the commercial New Services made after about serial number 305,000 in February, 1919 were made with bolstered barrels.
Buck

Reactions: Hopalong
1 - 9 of 9 Posts