Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seller says Colt M1903 32 left the factory with no Serial number
and was given a new number and ATF has called it a legal gun?
Picture of serial number area looks tampered with to me.
It would be interesting to see if the in the slide s/n is intact.
What do you see?:confused:

COLT 1903 .32 ACP - Colt Automatic Pistols

Machete

Reactions: bruno38

·
Registered
737 Posts
ei8ht,I seriously doubt the pistol left the factory legally with no serial number but, never say never. Even if the "story" is true the piece will always be called into question.I would avoid the headaches and let it pass. Just my opinion but, I don't buy guns I have to justify at a later date. Good luck, Nick

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
It looks, upon some magnification and lighting adjustments I perform, that the original serial number was obliterated in some fashion and the 3 digit number added by "someone". Don't care if it was an Irish pipe fitter or Jimmy Hoffa, if the seller doesn't have BATFE documentation that comes with the pistol I'd be backpeddlin away from that piece at a rapid pace.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
It never left Colt legally without a serial number. There is no way it went through all the requires steps without a serial number before it left Colt, even down to one employee putting the serial number on the bottom of the box to the employee that records it in a ledger.

Not something you would want to own.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Reminds me of when a certain individual out on the west coast stamped a serial number "3" on a Remington UMC 1911 that in fact did come out of the factory way back, one of the MANY "lunch box" guns, still, one does NOT go and stamp any number they feel like, the letter from BATFE and their approval is about 9 digits long, preceded by the "A.T.F. xxxxxxxxx" so go figure, me I would NOT touch that with a ten foot pole, this is ONLY a hobby !!!!:cool:

·
Administrator
7,437 Posts
Your decision but if it came in our store I wouldn't make an offer to buy . Walk away . There's half a million more out there to choose from .

·
Premium Member
21,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wasn't thinking about buying this Colt, not even for the parts.
I just thought the presentation was odd.

Opinion:

One could guess this Pistol was confiscated by the Springfield, Mass chief of police
from some bad guy and given a number, possibly a evidence ID number, then later
gifted to a friend of the chief. Who knows.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Why bother chasing a problem...... move along folks, nothing to see here.......

·
Premium Member
21,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Academic anywaySerial numbers were not required until the 1968 GCA
True, BUT removing or altering a serial number is still a felony no mater when it was made.
This Colt appears to have been altered.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
Academic anywaySerial numbers were not required until the 1968 GCA
While it is true that serial numbers were not required until the '68 GCA, the Federal Firearms Act of 1938 made it illegal to obliterate or alter a serial number on a firearm, or possess a firearm with an altered or obliterated serial number.

How it is administered is another matter, but I know the cops around here just love to catch someone with a gun with the serial number removed.

·
Registered
12,294 Posts
You have to have a valid reason to get a firearm renumbered. You just don't buy a firearm with the serial number removed and ask the BATF for a new one.

§ 478.34
Removed, obliterated, or altered serial number.
No person shall knowingly transport, ship, or receive in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered, or possess or receive any firearm which has had the importer's or manufacturer's serial number removed, obliterated, or altered and has, at any time, been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Once upon a time, when these things were possible, I bought a lot of guns from a retiring dealer, among them was a box of old guns he was using to scavenge parts. In the box were three GI .45's that had had their numbers removed. I ran as fast as I could to the then HQ of LAPD (Parker Center), filled out a found property report and turned them in. The numbers were raised, no record of any theft was found so they were restamped as "LAPxxxxxx" on the front strap and returned to me. There is no way I would do that now and the form of the serial number on this pistol is a joke that would likely get you laughed into the hoosegow. Just my opinion of course.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.