Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My son and I went hiking today around the Four Peaks Mountains. The forests here are closed to target shooting but not hiking. I took my new Colt LE6933 just to carry for protection. We were looking for old mine artifacts and ended up walking a few miles of river beds around an old mining area.

I carried my rifle across my back, but flipped it to the front for this photo. After about an hour of hiking as I jumped across the stream bed the Colt supplied sling let loose. The rifle landed in the dirt and rocks butt first luckily and the muzzle bounced off a bolder. The second photo shows the problem with the Rogers Superstock. The quick coupler insert pulled out of the stock. I pressed the insert back into the stock, but a little tug and it would come back out. I lost all confidence in the stock. I removed the sling and hand carried the rifle the rest of the day.

The rifle is surprisingly OK and the only scratch it got from falling is on the side of the stock. I guess it's time to look into a single point sling arrangement.

Attachments

Reactions: Alien

·
Registered
71 Posts
I never trusted that type of mounting point. You could thread the sling though that hard plastic loop at the top of your stock if it doesn't bother you while shooting.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Sorry for your problem! Nobody likes to lose their weapon.

I also use the sling slots that are molded into the butt stocks. Except, I use old school telescoping stocks. I don't have a Rogers or a Magpul, etc. My XM-177 copy has the rubber coated aluminum stock, and I use the 2nd pattern Colt/Military plastic buttstock on my 14.5" M-4A1 and the same stock when I use my 11.5 Commando upper. I have a Crane/Lewis knock-off stock that gives a great cheek weld, but it looks like a snow shovel. I just can't get used to it.

I don't like the "cuff" arrangement sling attachments I see used often with combat troops in Central Asia. My best friend in No. TX. sent me a dandy USMC desert colored two point sling with detachable cuff adaptors, as made by Specter, for my M-4A1. I took the cuffs off and threaded the sling through my telescoping buttstock slots.
It is a great sling, but I couldn't believe the price!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Malysh, what are your thoughts on the single point sling set up? With the short barrel this seems like a good option. The light weight Commando is a joy to carry all day.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,891 Posts
I've never felt comfortable with any kind of quick detach or screw-in sling swivels.
I've seen too many fail.
A lot of people really like the Rogers stock as made for Colt, and this is the first one I've heard have some sort of failure.

If you return the stock to Colt, they'll fix it or give you a new stock. After repair or replacement, you can sell it if you want.
Or, you can bypass the quick detach swivel and do the far stronger mount of using one of the many slots on the stock.
I always liked using the loop on top of the stock so the rifle would hang properly, if i used a side swivel on the barrel. The military barrel mount side swivel is strong and works very well.

What kind of sling set up is so personal it's tough to know what someone else will like.
If you watch video of troops in the mid-East you'll see all kinds of sling setups and even a variety of stocks on M4's.
I've been watching a new show on National Geographic on Monday night that's following a marine unit on a patrol in Afghanistan, and the variations in slings and stocks is wide.

I like the idea of a single point with the elastic "spring" feature, but you'd have to install some sort of mid-point sling mount.
Someone makes one that clamps on and doesn't require breaking the castle nut on the buffer tube loose and removing the nut, but the most secure is one installed under the nut.

Set up with a single point the rifle hangs nicely at the side, out of the way, and in an emergency, you can just drop the rifle and the spring feature of the sling catches it without as hard a jerk.
The only down side is if you carry a handgun in a strong side holster the rifle and pistol are going to beat each other up.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I don't like the RSS at all.

Use either the std M4 buttstock, ( strong metal sling- ring on bottom) ,
or even better the old 2-position M16A1 or A2 carbine buttstock. (plastic loop at top). (especially w/ 10.5" or 11.5" shorty AR's/16's.

·
Registered
7,381 Posts
Malysh, what are your thoughts on the single point sling set up? With the short barrel this seems like a good option. The light weight Commando is a joy to carry all day.
I have no experience with single point slings but based on my very limited experience with the Blackhawk three point sling, I probably wouldn't like them.
As luck would have it, another good friend bought me a Blackhawk sling in black for my black rifles. I set it up and tried it. I have to admit it was very comfortable and kept the carbine pointed down on an angle and I could use my arms freely. It is a pretty complicated set-up, which I do not like.

The friend in TX. advised me the USMC is canning those 3 point slings and going back to the old classic two point slings, ala that Specter I mentioned. He said it got back to the bosses that all those extra straps sometimes were getting hung up on vital equipment, like vests, mag pouches, harnesses, etc. I needed some cash early in the year and I sold him an all Colt parts A-4 I made. He was a USAF armorer and small arms instructor (not a Marine) who had to retire early due to health issues. It meant a lot to me that a guy who worked on thousands of M-16 variants wanted one that his best buddy assembled.
He bought one of the Specter slings for him and one for me. Then I told him about the USMC current issue bayo (less than a 10 year old model) in desert tan, and he had to buy one of those, too! :D
He knows I was in the Corps, of course.

Specter two point slings M-16 / AR-15 2 Point Tactical Sling

USMC bayonet, OKC3S, Ontario Knives. I really like this bayonet. It reminds me more of the old K Bar fighting knives than a G.I. M-9 bayonet. It actually is balanced well, for knife fighting. Believe it or not, the Corps still teaches knife fighting. I don't think the other service branches do. I have a couple of original Phrobis M-9 bayos and I vastly prefer this one. Of course, I am biased!
Ontario OKC3S Khaki Brown USMC Bayonet 8" Blade and Scabbard - KnifeCenter
I know this is useless for you, having a Commando which should not have a bayonet lug, but I had to throw it in ;)

Trapdoor, I ramble, as usual. I really don't know what to advise you. As you read, I also have a Commado upper for that M-4 SBR lower. It's small and handy.
But I am an old dog, and I prefer the standard two point slings over any other, even if you have to extract yourself from it to engage if it's across your back. You can always carry the AR muzzle down on the strong side shoulder with the hand holding the carbine in place as you go. You can even bring the weapon to bear using that same shoulder for a supported mid-torso shot presentation. Actually, that is probably better in the movies than it is for most of us!

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
My son and I went hiking today around the Four Peaks Mountains. The forests here are closed to target shooting but not hiking. I took my new Colt LE6933 just to carry for protection. We were looking for old mine artifacts and ended up walking a few miles of river beds around an old mining area.

I carried my rifle across my back, but flipped it to the front for this photo. After about an hour of hiking as I jumped across the stream bed the Colt supplied sling let loose. The rifle landed in the dirt and rocks butt first luckily and the muzzle bounced of a bolder. The second photo shows the problem with the Rogers Superstock. The quick coupler insert pulled out of the stock. I pressed the insert back into the stock, but a little tug and it would come back out. I lost all confidence in the stock. I removed the sling and hand carried the rifle the rest of the day.

The rifle is surprisingly OK and the only scratch it got from falling is on the side of the stock. I guess it's time to look into a single point sling arrangement.
Thanks for the heads up, I agree with the other members here be sure to notify Colt about your problem so they could investigate the issue and possibly give you a replacement, and also fix either a rare error or a major manufacturing process mistake which they have to recall the defective units that had been sold.

I'm kind of lucky that I use my Colt-Rogers stock on my model 6721 HBAR carbine which I mostly only use on the bench or when shooting prone on the shooting mat, I don't have a sling on mine and if I install one in the future I would just use the sling slot to avoid any possible failure.

My go to carbines are my two 6920 16" M4 carbines and on the first one I have my older M4 carbine stock which I'm using a Vickers VCAS two point sling and I'm using the slot on my M4 stock, my second carbine I have a new Magpul STR stock which I switched the location of the sling attach point from the left side to the right, the female attach point are attached with a screw with blue Loctite, and the hole on the stock are blind with only a small hole for the mounting screw, I'm pretty sure it won't come out like with the Rogers stock.

I have a Specter Gear single point sling model MOUT on one of my 9mm AR carbine and don't like it if I'm moving or working with both my hands and the weapon is dangling without control, it bangs on my sidearm, crotch, legs and knees, so I just use it for stationary shooting or when I'm in tight places like a vehicle or close in barricades, on my main carbines that's why I prefer my two point slings.

The new trend these days which some of my shooting buddies are using is the receiver end plate swivel attach point, two point sling with push button swivels, and a 2 to 1 point sling adapter.

They mostly use the two point sling and in some certain conditions that I mentioned in tight places they could detach the front end of their sling and attach it to their 2 to 1 point sling adapter, to convert it to a one point sling.

Noveske makes a good receiver end plate sling mount and Impact Weapons Components (IWC) makes a good 2 to 1 point convertible QD sling adaptor. (Impact Weapons Components also sells the Noveske QD end plate)

Noveske RifleWorks, LLC.

Impact Weapons Components

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your input guys, you have given me lots to think about. For now I just repositioned the attacment point on the stock to one of the other slots and removed the quick coupling. It works the same and is more secure feeling. I will call Colt tomorrow and see what they say about the Rogers Super-Stock.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Just make sure you wrap the sling around the stock threading it through the plastic loop since I can't tell how strong the loop is. Last thing I would want is that failing and having your rifle fall again.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
UPDATE Just got off the phone with Mr. [email protected] Colt. Colt's excellent customer service is going to ship me a new stock. All they asked for was an image of the pulled out bushing and the rifles serial number. They also stated that they are aware of this issue and are currently addressing it.

Reactions: Malysh

·
Registered
288 Posts
UPDATE Just got off the phone with Mr. [email protected] Colt. Colt's excellent customer service is going to ship me a new stock. All they asked for was an image of the pulled out bushing and the rifles serial number. They also stated that they are aware of this issue and are currently addressing it.
Colt is a quality outfit. :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
Good to hear Trapdoor. I have that same stock and now I will not be using the QD. Do you think having it out in the sunshine caused the plastic to warm up and expand enough to let the QD become loose? Thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Thank you for your post, Trapdoor, and sorry about your problem. I wanted to attach a two point sling to my AR in the same fashion you did. While I did order something to fit similar to what you probably have I also ordered some parts to attach the rear portion to the my rail in case I didn't like the fit. I have to thank AR15_1911 or giving me some options to think about.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alien, although it got up to 100 degrees the day of my outing I do not think it was a temperature related issue. The stock is probably an injection molded item and the tolerance for the QD bushing hole was off. Colt did not offer an explanation and at first thought I was referencing to the coupler that is attached to the belt loop. It seems there are two issues with this QD. I had the rifle slung over my back and I think jumping over the rocks, river bed and ducking under tree limbs put enough stress on that bushing it simply pulled out. I'm just lucky the rifle wasn't scuffed up.

coltle6920, yes we have a lot of knowledgeable guys that hang out here and after some suggestions given here I simply removed the QD device and attached the sling directly to the stock. It sets up just the same for me and eliminates extra parts.

I'm back in action! Now if it would just cool off a bit so I could head back to the desert to shoot some more.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Trapdoor, thanks for the update. I think the ferrule (the part molded into the plastic stock-ferrule is the only thing I could think of calling it) should at least have some grooves or tabs to give the plastic something to hold to. A metal to plastic slip fit is just an accident waiting to happen. I will do as others and attach the sling at another point.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Trapdoor, thanks for the update. I think the ferrule (the part molded into the plastic stock-ferrule is the only thing I could think of calling it) should at least have some grooves or tabs to give the plastic something to hold to. A metal to plastic slip fit is just an accident waiting to happen. I will do as others and attach the sling at another point.
Colt called this the bushing and it does have 3 grooves in it. It has an OD of 0.564" The smooth hole in the plastic stock measures at 0.558" If the bushing was knurled with sharp edges and the tolerances tighten up then maybe it would hold better. We'll let Colt figure that out.
Knockout punch Auto part Hardware accessory Metal

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Received my new stock from Colt today...yeah! There is a small R placed near the bushing and I'm guessing this is the new revised version. Has anyone else seen this or have it?
Plant Rim

1 - 20 of 25 Posts