Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,681 Posts
I like selling here. Not very active or a lot of buyers willing to pay market prices (call it Gun broker prices) here but at least it gives fellow members a chance at the guns or products before they go to Gun Broker.

I listed 10 guns here recently and have lowered with prices some since. Sold 2 of the 10 here (most recent last night) and another 4 the first day on gun broker so the prices are accepted as reasonable for the most part. (if only on Gun Broker). I've also bought a few things recently here on the forum from members I "know" via the forum. And been scammed just as recently on GB, GI and Ebay. Seller on Ebay was forced to issue a refund and has listed the faulty item, dishonestly, again!

Getting refunds on a CC or disputing a charge is getting more and more difficult every day. I simply don't want to deal with the delays any more, if the transaction goes bad. And they happen more and more often every day.

My suggestion is just not dick around. Make the for sale forum only available to members selling who have been here 3 years or more. Mandatory 250 posts. And be a paid, fully supporting member. May be a $50 or $100, one time donation, to get access to the for sale forum as a seller along with the rest of the requirements. Make it bite the sellers some to use the forum. Every other online Internet sales site does. Just not typically done on a forum. GB fees are expensive. Selling here is free. Which is why I post here first. I have always thought the for sale sections should be a revenue source for any forum. Never could make it work 20 years ago. May be you can now. That would certainly cut down on the scams. I'd become a supporting member again over night if those were the new rules.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just because you’ve been here for more than 3 years and have 250 posts doesn’t mean you’re not capable of dinging someone. As Guy said, “Be careful.” The member that dinged my friend has been on the forum over 7 years and has plenty of posts.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,957 Posts
No offense to anyone intended, but I‘d recommend resisting the “nanny state” temptation.

This is a discussion forum, not a sales platform, and it should not be the forum‘s job to institute procedures to protect those members who choose to use it for transactions.

All these minimums impose limits on new members, with questionable benefits for potential buyers; escrow services, credit cards, deposits and such require administrative time and organization and ultimately cost money.

If you decide to use the WTB/WTS section, do so at your own risk and use some of the excellent suggestions made in this thread. If you‘re not comfortable with that, stick to more structured platforms like Gunbroker.

I‘m just not a fan of the “There ought to be a law” approach when it comes to this stuff which is not central to the forum’s purpose. We’re all grown-ups here. Arrange your precautions based on your personal comfort level.
I have to agree. I believe that this post by Mitch is to ALERT those who buy and sell on the Forum and not to set up NEW rules. I don't believe that this Forum wants to or is able to get in the middle of all of these transactions. That is not the purpose of the Colt Forum. They have made available the Classified Section for our use but it is up to us to be alert enough to take care of ourselves. Let us offer common sense ideas and suggestions to assist members when making a purchase from another member. We don't want to end up looking like some of the gun sites who are loaded with scammers.

Just my opinion,

Cam.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,957 Posts
Just because you’ve been here for more than 3 years and have 250 posts doesn’t mean you’re not capable of dinging someone. As Guy said, “Be careful.” The member that dinged my friend has been on the forum over 7 years and has plenty of posts.
So do we know who the member is that dinged your friend? If someone who is a long time member of this Forum didn't fulfill his obligation in the deal then it would be nice if all the other members knew who this guy is. I have had dozens of deals with other members here on the Forum and the last thing I would ever want is to be on the wrong side of not fulfilling my obligation on a deal.

·
Registered
Colt SAA, Usfa SA, Std Mfg SA.
1,689 Posts
So do we know who the member is that dinged your friend? If someone who is a long time member of this Forum didn't fulfill his obligation in the deal then it would be nice if all the other members knew who this guy is. I have had dozens of deals with other members here on the Forum and the last thing I would ever want is to be on the wrong side of not fulfilling my obligation on a deal.
We pressed him on this when he first posted about this supposed deal. He balked, also this was not his story. He is a 3rd party in this and the info should be treated with some skepticism.

·
Administrator
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
To clarify , the purpose of this discussion is to try and put the membership on guard and to advise them on ways to spot a suspicious ad or seller .

No new restrictions are coming at this time . Thieves will always find a way .

·
Administrator
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I asked for suggestions that might be added to the existing warning post . Seems clear enough .

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nope. I’m not going to name the crook. Not my call. But I know who exactly did this. I’m watching everyday for the clown to post. I might not be an “expert” on Colts but my 42 years as an Assistant District Attorney qualifies me in criminal deterrence. If I name the crook, I only deter the named crook. If I let you know that I’m watching for the crook, that deters many folks who have sceinter, guilty knowledge or criminal intent, from hosing the members. So I’m doing you a favor by not naming the crook. Unless you have a big head. You’re smarter than anybody else.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
A couple of hints about scammers. A lot of them now are using gmail addresses.
well i don't sell much online but every time i did sell something the buyer received his item in at least the condition i described and i've had buyers of some items say they were better than described.

why the preamble?
because i use gmail, not everyone that uses gmail is a thief or scammer.
overall you gave some good info regarding the other issues in your post and i figure you were just using that as an example and not putting all gmail users in the same boat but i still wanted to clarify my perspective of the subject.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
I disagree with Added costs of longtime members...Been here since 2004 and have excellent record buying and selling. Taxing the Good Folks is a penalty and slap in the face.
i agree, matter of fact the kid and i have had a couple deals here so i had to agree. :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Post Count is a very poor measure. I've seen it used in several discussions as to someones credibility. It's useless. I have been reading this board for several years before I registered. I probably know many of you far better than you know. Could probably knock on your door. I rarely post to any internet forums and in four years this is less than twenty and most of those have been in the last couple of days. I thought the count had to be ten or fifteen to see the classifieds so here I am. I have learned a lot reading here and would rather purchase here than GB or the others. Another thread I posted on people wanted to start adding politics to the Forum, no thanks. Now I find I need hundreds of post to see a want add, unfortunately I guess I just won't be looking here to buy my first 1st gen, at least not for another decade or so until I get my post count up.

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
"I am a private pilot and have my own plane. Where can I meet you?"

(crickets)

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Administrator
7,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Post Count is a very poor measure. I've seen it used in several discussions as to someones credibility. It's useless. I have been reading this board for several years before I registered. I probably know many of you far better than you know. Could probably knock on your door. I rarely post to any internet forums and in four years this is less than twenty and most of those have been in the last couple of days. I thought the count had to be ten or fifteen to see the classifieds so here I am. I have learned a lot reading here and would rather purchase here than GB or the others. Another thread I posted on people wanted to start adding politics to the Forum, no thanks. Now I find I need hundreds of post to see a want add, unfortunately I guess I just won't be looking here to buy my first 1st gen, at least not for another decade or so until I get my post count up.
Read a little closer . The 50 post restriction hasn't changed ... While not quite a decade , you're about 7-8 yrs away from the Classifieds ;^)

Reactions: MarkInTx

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
because i use gmail, not everyone that uses gmail is a thief or scammer.
overall you gave some good info regarding the other issues in your post and i figure you were just using that as an example and not putting all gmail users in the same boat but i still wanted to clarify my perspective of the subject.
I also use gmail and while some might disagree, I'm a pretty nice guy and definitely not a scammer. I switched to gmail after my original email account was hacked during the big Yahoo fiasco several years ago.

"I am a private pilot and have my own plane. Where can I meet you?"
Hey...are you the guy who used to be on TV from Colorado with the suitcase full of cash and hot wife?? ;)

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
Here is a problem I have. Two examples, I have not sold much on line, including this forum. The first example was from the Smith and Wesson Forum. I was contacted about had a rare 4” .38 M&P target model I had acquired and posted. It was not minty. So, I gave a fair price and he liked it. But, I became concerned that he could not really see the condition due to picture quality. I took more pictures and based on his expectations I decided to dissuade him from the purchase. Second, on this Forum I was asked about some MOP grips for a Colt SAA. I have a few to spare. But, having more than 50 first generation Colt SAA’s I know finding a pair that fit any particular gun is difficult. The spares fit some and not others. So, do I sell a pair of grips that may or may not fit? Even if they fit, they may not be a precise fit (though I haven’t mentioned it, I did not forget and have been looking for him for a pair that I have that are oversized and can be fitted).

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.