Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired an old NYPD Audley Safety holster to historically match my early model Colt Police Positive. The holster has the metal spring clip that holds the revolver in place. Is anyone familiar with this type holster and can advise how it is intended to fit? When I put the pistol in the holster, the clip is located right in front of the trigger inside the trigger guard. Seems like this is a less than effective (not to mention safe) arrangement if one needs to depress the spring in order to draw the revolver.

Thanks for any help,

Mark

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
greeting Lexnol, i collect audley holster and i may be of some assitance , the audley design was a much used system the new york state police used them for there colt new service .45, the new jersey state police used for there .38 offical police with special audley holster that carried over 20 rounds of additional ammo on the belt slide of the holster. i was told a story by a former law enforcment training officer that NYPD banned these holster after several accidntal shooting of the officers to them selves, they pulled the trigger instead of the release , hope this helps , strange i was unaware the NYPD issued Police postive revolvers , take care , rj

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
greeting Lexnol, i collect audley holster and i may be of some assitance , the audley design was a much used system the new york state police used them for there colt new service .45, the new jersey state police used for there .38 offical police with special audley holster that carried over 20 rounds of additional ammo on the belt slide of the holster. i was told a story by a former law enforcment training officer that NYPD banned these holster after several accidntal shooting of the officers to them selves, they pulled the trigger instead of the release , hope this helps , strange i was unaware the NYPD issued Police postive revolvers , take care , rj

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks rj. Actually I do not know that the NYPD used the Police Positive but felt the audley holster would be correct with this type Colt revolver. Easy to see how one might shoot ones self in the foot getting the pistol out of the holster. Is that the correct placement for the spring clip: in front of the trigger?
Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
yes Lexnol that is correct, i tried several times to perfect a combat draw and found it very un-safe so i abandoned the idea. the holster does hold the revolver safe and secure until you have to use it in a hurry , hope this helps take care, rj

1 - 5 of 5 Posts