Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this among a group of firearm/hunting/trapping ephemera, I thought some might find it interesting.

Too bad they didn't put the serial number down, I might have been able to put it back with the gun if it's still around...although, considering the condition it went in to Colt, maybe not...

In the same group were three 8-1/2 x11 two sided card stock salesman pages covering both hammer and hammerless SxS shotguns and parts, but they may be very good repros.

Colt 1946 Receipt.jpg

·
Registered
485 Posts
Talk about a voice from the past! Interesting to think that that paper has about as much similarity to life today as does a Dead Sea scroll...

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Interesting find!
According to an inflation calculator, $18.87 in 1946 is worth $247.40 today.
I wonder if there is anywhere you could get that kind of work done for less than $250.00?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had 2 Pythons worked on about 5 years ago before they stopped doing work, as I recall, making the gun right, including installing a new barrel (I supplied), trigger tuning and reblue was about $450.

·
The Consummate Collector
6,488 Posts
I find it very interesting since I do collect the Shooting Masters. Since it did not list a serial number we will never know what gun was sent in for repair. Thanks for sharing as it gives us a sense of cost at that time. I had not starting collecting the Shooting Masters when that receipt was written since I was only five but may have been thinking about them.

·
Registered
83 Posts
It seems most of the repairs were for wear. Considering the time frame I wonder if the Shooting Master might have been used in the war. Check with Cam aka thecoltguy, he may own the gun!
Given the date of the repairs, makes me think it was a law enforcement revolver, perhaps that spent a good deal of time at a training academy. Clearly a LOT of fast DA shooting had been done with that revolver.

But yeah, military service certainly could account for much the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts