Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious whether his tune removed the stacking in double action like Jungkind's and Sherman's? Also what was the double action pull in pounds after tuning? Wonder if his wide target trigger replacement had a recontoured surface to remove the stacking?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is a reply from Austin Behlert himself on the subject:

In the late 60s or early 70s Bill Judd then sales mgr (I believe) at Colt asked me to bring him a custom Python I build to show manedgement to mfr in the future. I had been doing alot of OMs and Pythons and sent them one. On the double action part of the job I had a very unique way. If the pistol was new and if the timing was right I could see no reason in heating and bending the sear end down on the trigger and then having to completely retime it. I simply ground a groove in the center 1/ 3rd of the sear point face in a radius to match the arc when squeezing the trigger in double action . I then ground the sides of the pickup lever in the hammer to ride in this groove. This completely removed the lift at the last part of the double action and after polishing all the important parts I came out with a smooth 5 lb pull. Don Tedford at Colt couldnt believe he never thought of doing it this way. The wide trigger was acomplished by milling a radius in the front of the trigger to match the segment of a circular piece I then silver soldered in ( cerrated). This method also corrected most of the tight curve in Colt triggers. Another pistol I did for Bill Judd will be told about shortly. I had a few Colt forgings of triggers in the raw and for years tried to get them to make wide triggers as there was plenty material to do so, but who was I to tell Colt

This from over at www.pistolsmith.com with the address:
http://www.pistolsmith.com/viewtopic.php?t=14487

An interesting approach to eliminating stacking in double action.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts