Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I had a revolver, such as a rare Python or even a Boa, and I wanted to be absolutely certain beyond any doubt that it was authentic, (or not), how can one tell for sure? I don't mean a way I can tell by looking at it myself; I am talking about something along the lines of sending the item(s) to Colt, or take the pistol or revolver to a qualified expert, and then, if authentic, have it certified, so that there is no doubt on the part of a potential buyer or a seller going forward.
Many thanks,
Sam

· Registered
1,153 Posts
Factory letters do nothing for authenticity. A Colt letter only says the Serial number you requested was shipped...NOT the actual piece in question. Anyone can ask about a number and Colt only wants the money.

· Registered
3,775 Posts
When it comes to these guns one thing that a letter tells you is if the barrel length is correct. The barrel length greatly effects the value on these guns.

Reactions: WVCOLT

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your replies. The guns in question are Boa revolvers, one with 6" and one with 4" barrel. Colt only made them with blue finish and in these 2 barrel lengths. So obviously a nickel finish Boa or an 8" Boa would be fake. I will see if I can upload some pictures of these. Someone sent me pictures of inauthentic Boas, and none of the conditions that were present on the fake Boas are present on the ones I have. I just with I had better pictures.
Blue Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

· Premium Member
6,575 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum from West Virginia. Glad you have joined us all here. Great advise above as always from these knowledgeable members.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice pair of BOA's they will bring extremely dumb money at auction and when I say dumb I mean way too much......
I hope yours bring extra dumb money :LOL:
Thanks! Do any of you guys see anything about these that doesn't look completely authentic? The serial numbers are BOA0798 and BOA0799. The boxes, as it turns out, are not authentic, which I didn't know until just recently when I auctioned the set. The guy who won the auction all the sudden doesn't want the Boas. He sent me pictures of the boxes, and pointed out what made the box authentic or not, and did the same for the Boas. So the boxes do look inauthentic, but the Boas look 100% authentic, and have none of the characteristics of the fake ones. They are even more beautiful in person, truly a sight to behold. So I just want to be sure before I take any further action. I might try to contact this guy Charles Layson. Thanks again everyone for your replies!

· Registered
1,850 Posts
The guy who won the auction all the sudden doesn't want the Boas. He sent me pictures of the boxes, and pointed out what made the box authentic or not, and did the same for the Boas.

If all of a sudden he doesn't want the Boas what did he point out that the Boas that were not authentic?

Strange post two sequentially numbered Boas with boxes and you auction the boxes first!

Makes me wonder if we are getting the whole story.

· *** ColtForum MVP ***
17,156 Posts
It's hard to alter a serial number and not leave any traces.
Colt stamped the serial numbers of revolvers on the frame, on the cylinder crane, and inside the side plate.
Removal and change to a different number will leave traces.

The Colt Boa had special Boa serial numbers, a Python type barrel, and a brilliant Colt Royal Blue mirror finish, all of which yours have.
I haven't seen a fake Boa, but I've heard of Colt Trooper Mark V's someone fitted with a Python barrel, which is what the Boa basically was.
These are not easily mistaken for a genuine Boa because of the non-Royal Blue finish and the Trooper Mark V serial numbers.

Usually faked Colt's involve changed barrels to rare lengths like the original 3 inch barrel Pythons, non-factory engraving, or fake Custom Shop models.
Certainly a high value model like a Boa would be something a faker might attempt, but it's not likely it would pass the smell test of anyone even moderately familiar with Colt's.

I'd say that the chances that these are not genuine Boa's is very slim.
You can order a Colt Archive letter on them to confirm that they are Boa's and as long as the serial numbers haven't been faked that's pretty much proof positive.
The market prices for Boa's is nose bleeding high due to the rarity and them being a Colt "snake gun".

As for having them looked at by an expert, that's probably not going to be of much use.
Unless there are signs of a refinish to Royal Blue, signs of a barrel change, or removed and re-stamped serial numbers are obvious an expert will usually have go on the serial number.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If all of a sudden he doesn't want the Boas what did he point out that the Boas that were not authentic?

Strange post two sequentially numbered Boas with boxes and you auction the boxes first!

Makes me wonder if we are getting the whole story.
The boxes that the Boas came in, did not appear to be authentic, so he thinks the guns are not, or might not be authentic. I guess he thinks because the boxes are not exactly like the original factory boxes, that the guns might be suspect. So he sent me pictures, I'll try to upload them, pictures that show authentic vs. inauthentic boxes, and also authentic and inauthentic and Boas. I apologize if I was not clear before. Gosh, the glare is terrible on the 4 inch Boa's box. The "4 INCH" barrel length text is normally legible.

Rectangle Font Material property Box Packaging and labeling

1 - 20 of 28 Posts