Colt Forum banner
  • Have you found any great Black Friday deal!? Share them in this post HERE for a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my son a .22 rifle for his birthday at Sports Authority here in Kalifornia.
Sports Authority apparently has decided that the state mandated 10 day waiting period is not enough and extended it to 11 days for guns sold at their store!
The DOJ counts the day of sale towards the waiting period but Sports Authority does not. Who do these freaks think they are?
I will not even buy a pair of shoestrings from that place now!

I know it's just another day, but it sure gripes my behind!

IMO, stay away from Sports Authority!
Below is a web site to express your opinions to them.
http://www.thesportsauthority.com/h...aveQuestion=yes

------------------
"We're surrounded, that simplifies our problem..."
Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller - USMC

·
Registered
794 Posts
Hi SemperFi Wireguy. Welcome to the forum.

I understand you are not happy with the way you were treated by this specific merchant/dealer. But if you would allow me to offer an explanation, it may help to soften your feelings somewhat.

The 11 day wait you refer to is really NOT uncommon. Even in your repressive state. It is simply a matter of knowing how it works and how the merchants/dealers position the pickup day.

First off the waiting period isn't so much ten days as it is 240 hours from the time of entry into the system (Dros/background check). So saying that "the DOJ counts the day of sale towards the waiting period" is not entirely correct. It will count those hours of the day toward the total waiting period once the sale has been entered into the system.

So if you buy your gun at 3pm on the 20th of Dec, your pick up day will usually be listed on your receipt as Dec 31. Simple arithmetic makes this look like 11 days. However, you are legally entitled to pick up your gun anytime after 3pm on the Dec 30th, because the waiting period of 240 hours (10 days) has completed.

Most merchants will list the next day as the pick up day to ensure there is no misunderstanding on when they can legally release the gun to you. Example above if you show up on Dec 30th at 10am to pick up your gun they can not release it to you as the required 240 hours has not yet elapsed. But simple arithmetic says I bought it on the 20th so the 30th is 10 days, right? Wrong. This is why the waiting period should be viewed in contiguous hours. At any rate this could cause you another trip to the store. Inconvenient at the best, very inconvenient and maddening at worst. So the seller will often put the next day on the receipt. This way when you come on that day he will be able to release to you without any doubt whatsoever.

Another scenario is you purchase the gun on Dec 20th but the sale was not able to be entered into the system for some reason, computer down, bad uplink etc. So the merchant has to wait until the next day to enter the transaction into the system. At that point the 10 day 240 hour clock starts. Not when you plunked down your money. This is most common at gun shows where your dealer/merchant cannot enter the sale into the system until the next day.

I know the wait is painful. Every minute, every hour and every day just add to the absurdity of it all. Especially when you may already possess enough firearms to equip a small army.

To avoid such disappointments in the future, might I suggest that when you purchase a firearm that you have to wait for, make them put on the receipt the specific date and time after which you are allowed to pick up. If it is longer than 240 hours (10 days) make them correct it and look up the law if they don't understand how it works

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the 240hr rule. I have had dealers to use paper as well as computer checks. I have purchased 4 guns in 4 months in this State as well as many others in the past all from different dealers, every one of them listed the time and said I could pick it up after that time on the 10th day. However, Sports Authority still adds a day and will not allow you to take possession until after the designated time on the 11th day. They even acknowledged that their policy was different from the state by stating that "even though the state recognizes the sale date, they (Sports Authority)do not"

This all may seem small, and in the grand scheme of things it is. However, CA already has some of the most restrictive gun laws in the country and we don't need a retailer to come along and make it worse. We also have elitist, hypocritical Senators that bash the 2nd Ammendment and hold CCW permits themselves! Now a Nazi/Kennedy puppet Gov. that smiles in your face and takes away your guns behind your back. Give them an inch and you know the rest!

I'm a pretty happy guy usually but I'm tired of crap like this.
As the quote goes, "We can hang together or hang separately" (paraphrased)

------------------
"We're surrounded, that simplifies our problem..."
Gen. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller - USMC

·
Registered
794 Posts
You got the same assessment from Jeff on the other forum.

It's still real simple. Take your own advice and avoid the place.

If you were looking to cost them customers then consider it worked on me. But then again I have never even heard of them and have no idea where their stores might be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.