Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 6" Blued Python that is in incredible condition (not perfect mind you but no nicks or dings, no wear in the blueing anywhere, just a few TINY imperfections under the trigger guard, an ever so slight ring on the cylinder that you really have to look hard to find, and a small discoleration on the left side of the hammer)a few weeks ago for $600. I know that it wasn't the worlds best deal but... The deal just got sweeter. I just got a call from the guy that sold it to me. He said he found the original box for it and said to come get it. I'm headed over there this afternoon and will post pics with the Python and it's box when I get back. I was on my way to church so I didn't get to ask what kind of condition the box was in or if it had the papers with it or anything. So I'm pumped to go find out what little surprise I've got waiting for me. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'll report back in a few hours.

p.s. Does anyone know if the imperfections I mentioned above could have a huge negative effect on the value of the gun? I would just hate to find out later that I got ripped because of these very minor (to me) imperfections (and when I say minor, you have to understand that I am a perfectionist and minor things to most people are huge to me). Anyway, any insight would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Awesome phone call today!

Went and picked up the box. It's tattered but hey, I wasn't even expecting to get a box with the gun so I'm excited none the less. It has everything (as far as I know) that came in it plus even has that business card of the gun shop from where the gun was purchased. I'm stoked. Don't know if it raises the value of the gun or not but it sure is cool to me.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

I'm glad that you made it back! I was thinking that the guy might have found out he sold it too cheap and was baiting you for an ambush! Nice find. Great craftmanship on those revolvers.

·
Registered
778 Posts

Sounds like it is about 97%. Good deal! In five years the way things are going a 70% Python will be going for over a grand.

Very few revolvers that old are 100%, or even 98%. Owners did shoot them you know. That was the original reason for buying one.

Only us nutty collectors hold them to our breast, and whine about making them into safe queens.

Shoot it in good health.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Thanks for the replies guys.

How is the % judged. I have seen guns that have blue missing on all the sharp edges represented anywhere from 97-99%. That doesn't make sense to me. Unless you looked my gun over for a while in bright light, you may not see a single flaw. So what I am wondering is how guys can claim that thier guns are 99% when they have obvious flaws and mine might be graded as 97% (BTW I would agree with you because I am so picky)? Is there a methed to judging the percentage of a a gun or is it just subjective?

BTW - Anybody have any idea what the gun might actually be worth now with the box and papers (and do the box and papers actually add anything to the value)? From the serial numbers I've been told it was made in '82.

Also, one of these days I'm gonna take some real close ups of the minor flaws it has and try to get you guys to give me an objective idea of its quality percentage wise.

Thanks again guys. You guys and this forum are awesome.

One last thing... should I shoot this thing? I've never had a gun that I didn't shoot. Never really interested (until recently) in collecting guns for anything other than to shoot. I did find out from the owner that this gun has about 100 rounds of .38 special through it so it is not unfired. Part of me really wants to shoot it because everyone tells me what a pleasure it is to shoot but part of mee wants to really preserve any value it might have to either pass on to my son or to use as trade value some day in the future. Anyway, sorry for all the newbie questions. Just don't know who else to ask.

·
Registered
345 Posts

Seen one come into the gun show last weekend about the same as yours but no imperfections,but had been shot very few times,,,$700,sold,then buyer was offered $925,30 minutes later,the gun actually got traded for a value of $845,,,,does this help

·
Registered
909 Posts

Probably the best way to learn about Steve Fjestad's percentage grading system is to pick up several old Blue Books and review the photos at the front, concentrating on Colt revolvers. That will give you a good sample of representative guns and how they are "officially" rated.

As to shooting it, go ahead; you sound like you have sufficient appreciation of this Colt to give it the treatment it deserves. I would only caution that if it has been fired with .38 Specials that you make sure the chambers are absolutely clean before you use .357's, or else you will get a nasty ring that is really difficult to remove; and then fire .357's only.

Enjoy your prize /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif B.W.

·
Registered
778 Posts

I would probably grade your Python 98% after re-reading your post, and thinking about how I grade my own guns. The box, and papers in almost any condition anymore is a big upper on value.

To me a 99% to mint revolver is one with no discernable cylinder turn ring, no holster wear on the barrel, and no dings on the finish or stocks.

Most Pythons at the gun show this past weekend were going for about $1,000.00, and did not have boxes or papers. I almost bought a really nice 2-1/2" blued for about that, and he had a nice 6" in about the same shape, and price. Most of our Pythons are short barreled ones.

As far as shooting our guns goes, we shoot most of our revolvers if it has been shot in the past. If you take care of the gun, you are not going to degrade the condition beyond what has already been done.

Also as far as I am concerned, every day that passes makes these old revolvers a little more valuable than the day before, just because no one is making them the way they were made in the past. Most of these old Colt, Smith, and other master gun makers have gone on to their great reward, or have been retired for many years.

If Colt does come out with a Python next year as has been talked about, I am sure it will be in stainless steel, and in the neighborhood of $1,000. to $1,500. and have the charm of a stainless steel hubcap.

You got a great deal, and a wonderful start should you wish to begin collecting Colt revolvers. I still don't have a 6" Python yet myself. With a limited gun budget the choices sometimes become painful.

These are just my humble opinions on a favorite subject of mine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Robba,

Did you go to the Lakeland Suncoast Show? I only saw two Pythons and boths were nickle or stainles (I didn't look close enough to see which). I didn't see any really great deals at the show and was kind of disappointed. I had originally set out to get a CZ 75B but I couldn't find one for under $400 and that was more than I as willing to spend (but I didn't try dickering on price either so I don't know what I could have gotten one for). I was also looking for a Savage 111 in a 7mm Mag but didn't see any. I did however trade a gun I had given to me a few months ago (a Jensen J22 aka Junk) for a nice Buck Mark +$210. I know it isn't a great deal (may even be a bad one) but I wanted one bad and it was the best deal I could find at the show. Did you see anything good at the show?

·
Registered
778 Posts

The show I went to with my son was in Melbourne. Its a small show, but we bought a Smith model 15, a Colt SV-VI, and a mint 1911 clone made in Argentina.

Lakeland is a ways away, and we had a business thing to go to over the weekend also, so stayed close. Spent enough anyway.

Good luck with that Python, to replace it would probably cost you close to a grand.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts