Colt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's right,I'm the new guy that just blew into town.Been looking over the fence around here for some time now and figured it was time to join up and sit down.After growing up with the big red W and Colt as the only real choices in firearms,it sure felt good to find a Colt I had to have and was able to grab it last week.First new Colt in about 20 years after an extended stay over at S&W-the good ones are good ones.Found what I thought was a SS DS from an estate sale.I was there to pick-up a 640 I'd heard was being offered.Someone had stashed the 2"Colt in the far top rt.corner of the case and was one of the last 3 or so pieces left out of around 40+ guns left behind when the gentleman owner passed.Wish I could have met the man judging from his collection-hand full of 41Mags,Levergunner levers,etc.all of which appeared to have been fired a hand full of rounds and put back in the safe.I imagine he just had to feel the shot break at least a few times and was not collecting with resale profit in mind-just enjoyed em.Only thing was it appears he filed the books and paperwork for the guns in a cabinent somewhere as all the box's are correct and as new but no paper.Back to my new revo-funny lockwork for a "D" frame with the T.bar and all but I would not put it down and pretty much sprained my wrist reaching for my wallet.Well,I asked for the box and it just had a few letters and a #,no reptiles,no LE terms,just SF-V1.Grabed some snap caps and asked if I could turn the action as there was already a very slight turn line and I would buy it no matter what.LIGHT DA,vault lock-up,and strange for "D" frame timing with very soft reset.Did a search here and found out I had just purchased a LNIB small frame 6(ser.#SV74xx) for $425.All the guns from this estate were appearently priced directly out of the BB and can't believe the Winchesters,S&W's,and Colts that got grabbed up for a song.I feel absolutely blessed to have gotten this little snub and it has rekindled my passion for Colts instilled throughout my childhood.They really are different.Also,if anyone here has an extra manual correct for 95/96,I sure would appreciate a trade or buy to get it and put it in the box.Thanks to all here who do the work to give us a place to talk about Colts. Lattorgator, Mark

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Among other odds and ends I also have an SF-VI serial SV74xx, but not an extra manual. Manuals are available from time to time on EBay and the gun auctions, but the SF-VI manual may be a little scarce. It does have the title "SF-VI Double Action Revolvers". When they followed on with the DS-II and Magnum Carry, the title dropped the SF-VI. Here is a link to a PDF of that later manual just FYI. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
http://www.stevespages.com/pdf/colt_double_action_revolver.pdf
BTW, which finish doesit have?

·
Registered
150 Posts
A1A-I also have a SF-VI, serial# SF55xx; a bit unusual since it has a bobbed hammer which was a factory option in this model. The double action is as smooth and light as any of my three Pythons and single action is very clean. (I just pull the trigger lightly to catch the bobbed hammer and then cock.) I've seen posts that complain about the gun's accuracy, but mine groups in a nasty fist-sized hole at 10 yds. offhand and will do better from a rest. Some folks have had problems with the light trigger return which Colt will rectify free of charge; mine has been fine. You might try Colt to see if they have any manuals (probably don't) or as the earlier post advised, keep scouring ebay. I was fortunate enough to get mine mint in the plastic(ugh) box with the manual for $350 last year. A security guard got it as a backup and then decided he didn't like the nominal "double action only" feature. I don't think he ever fired it. I have 15 Colts and probably shoot this one as much as any with the exception of my 1911's. Welcome to the forum, and I hope this helped. -Asa

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sorry, Barks2-welcomed the wrong guy to the forum; A1A's been around forever! But welcome anyway. -Asa

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hey A1A, have a SF-VI Serial# 08XX. I am trying to figure out what finish it is. It has a brushed appearance, and I am trying to figure out if it is stainless or elec. nickel.

Super smooth double action. Makes a nice carry gun.

Have you any idea how many were made, and for how long?

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Yes, I recall you stole it in Melbourne. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif It was apparently introduced during 1995 and "fully" cataloged in 1996, also its last year. They were only stainless and offered in matte (the most common), bright and believe it or not - black (as was the later DS-II). I have a matte which is quite gray and a bright. The 1996 catalog shows availability of 4", but I have never seen one (along with a lot of other things). They were supplanted by the DS-II in 1997, which is essentially the same revolver. The story is the SF-VI was named other than DS because there were still 4th issue (apologies to the Judge) DSs in the market - they were still shown in the 1995 catalog. Eventually for name recognition, "it" was named the DS-II. I have seen a 2" black DS-II NIB on auction, but it was a little pricey at the time and didn't sell. Have never seen a black SF-VI pictured or mentioned. The Special Lady was a bright SF-VI with a bobbed hammer (for purse carry /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) and a tuned action. The big feature of the SF-VI was the light double action. But I run on. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Oh, I don't know how many were made. As mentioned my highest serial is SV74xx. My DS-IIs have higher numeric serials, so I don't know if they just continued from the SF-VIs or started over. Guess I could see if Colt would look that up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank's for the replys.In answer to A1A's question as to finish,I believe mine must be the"bright"as it is not a dull matte as mentioned above.I would call it a brushed bright,reminds me of the 2002 issue 629MG in that it IS bright but not polished smooth.It's on a 30 day consignment hold and when it comes out early next month I'll post pictures.If someone here could post a pic of their SF-V1 in matte or bright I'd really appreciate it.Also,I can't find ser# info at proofhouse or any other source so if anyone knows where SV74XX falls(95/96)and any info.as to if-when Colt fit the heavy trg.sprg.in the production pieces it would be much appreciated.I cannot believe how good the little snub felt in the hand and can't wait to pick it up.Very interesting to learn about this short run baby.Thanks to all, Mark

·
Registered
778 Posts
The only reason we got that SF-VI at the Melbourne show was because of that dealer from Ft. Lauderdale who came up for some cash because of hurricane Wilma.

We also got an almost new Argentine 1911 45 clone from him and, a nickel snubbie model 15 Smith.

The Melbourne shows mostly "suck", but we go anyway, cause its so close by, and you never know what might come out of grand daddy's old foot locker.

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Just kidding, it was a good find. Been to the Melbourne show once and indeed it was not large nor particularly fruitful, but like you say - you never know. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Hard to really get it right in the light, but the bright has a very slight brush but is still very shiney. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
The Searcher
11,097 Posts
Barks2much made me do it. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I've stayed very much with the "newer" models. I know you have many more oldies but goodies. No sympathy here. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank's for the pics A1A,mine is definently the bright finish.Now I can at least look at the pictures untill pick-up day.10 day wait here in PRK seems long,but the 30 day hold on a consingment piece seems like a decade.The 10 day deal has saved me thousands of dollars;when the money's in your pocket and you can carry it out that day I've taken home a lotta strays.I'm a schoolboy in love with this new little snub. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif God Bless, Mark

·
Registered
150 Posts
I still haven't taken time to figure out how to post pics, but mine looks exactly like A1A's matte finish example except for a bobbed hammer. My other Det. Spec. "variation" is a pre-WW2 mint model that I don't shoot. -Asa

1 - 15 of 15 Posts