Colt Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, it is a lot easier to observe if a revolver is loaded than it is most semi auto pistols.
No excuse for this happening. It reminds me of the video of the DEA agent discharging his Glock by accident in a classroom that was posted to the internet a few years back.

I fear the instructor had a senior moment - something I am not looking forward to!

·
Banned
7,709 Posts
Also, it is a lot easier to observe if a revolver is loaded than it is most semi auto pistols.
No excuse for this happening. It reminds me of the video of the DEA agent discharging his Glock by accident in a classroom that was posted to the internet a few years back.

I fear the instructor had a senior moment - something I am not looking forward to!
Was that the one where he shot himself in the leg? In any event, there is NO EXCUSE for an instructor, especially in the classroom setting, to use a firearm that had not been cleared prior to entering the room and then a double and triple check of the weapon to remove all doubt. The half dozen or so classes I've taken, NRA, Tactical and Concealed Carry have all been given by instructors that hammered into our brains the FIRST RULE of gun handling/safety....THE GUN IS LOADED UNTIL PROVEN OTHERWISE. The guy needs his instructor certification pulled.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
This is the sort of thing that can happen to any elderly instructor, and because of this fact, there should be occasional re-testing of all firearms instructors. As a Law Enforcement Firearms Instructor for more than 37 years I was subject to bi-annual re-testing in both academic and practical issues.

As you succinctly put it Malysh, some of us "older" instructors realize this and for that reason alone there should be annual or at the very least, bi-annual re-testing of all firearm instructors.

As a firearms instructor in the private sector, I am still subject to review and audit every second year.

There's no excuse for an instructor to shoot a student in a classroom or anywhere for that matter. A number of firearm safety rules were broken in this incident and I find the governments view that this was an accidental shooting appalling to say the least. There is no such thing as an accidental shooting. Whatever credentials this "instructor" has, should be revoked immediately.

Bud

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
True- It is more ammunition for anti gunners. Why did He not check it? AND why did he pull the trigger anyway-Really strange. Must have been a hard steel desk top,if it bounced/ricocheted off or maybe the angle of the gun to the desk was Very Flat. Maybe it was some FMJ 38's or maybe some round nosed lead bullets

Maybe he has the onset of dementia or Alzheimers or maybe his mind was so overwhelmed by something else,he just wasnt with it at that time.

So like Clint Eastwood said (I believe it was him)-- I have a strict gun control policy-If there is a gun around, I want to be in control of it. Yeah, I agree with that.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have to say I do not believe this is happening more today than ever before. That reminds me of what the anti's say. That justifies their emotional cry for "more regulation".
On another forum I just read about a border patrol agent who had such an accident back in 1956 down in San Isidro.
Accidents have always happened. They are no more tragic today than in years past.
We have to get over the idea that "something must be done" when there is really nothing that can be done.
Other than that people learn to be more careful, and follow the rules.
dc

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
A person should cultivate good habits. This instructor obviously didn't have the habit of - first thing check if the gun is loaded. Habit persists old age or not. At 89 I can attest to the old age part.

MY own event convinced me. Over the years I had heard 'keep finger out of the trigger guard until you shoot.' Out in the woods to shoot, my .44 Special DA in hand, I was unloading from the hatchback of my Explorer --- stuff started falling & I grabbed at it. With the instant muscular tension - I fired a shot into my car. No real damage but it got me to thinking. I'm working on developing the habit.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If there is anything positive about this incident (and there isn't) the instructor at least gave a very good demonstration of bad gun handling. This is a lesson those students will never forget.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Obama said "if I had a son he would look like Michael Piemonte." The guys at my LGS check every gun each time they handle it. I've become quite anal in checking my firearms whenever I set them down to switch to something else. When I pack up to go home it gets even worse.

I would agree with Matchlock that as an instructor you should have to requalify every so often. I would even go so far as to suggest some sort of requalification when you renew your CCW permit. You don't have to be cocky to cause a tragedy just complacent.

·
Administrator
7,437 Posts
I think we've covered this fully .

No excuse .
Treat every firearm as if it's loaded .
The muzzle is always pointed in a safe direction .

Reactions: Blademan
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.