Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I slowly pull the hammer all the way back on my Python I can still nudge the cylinder a tiny bit before the bolt drops fully into the lock notch. Timing off? When the hammer is cocked more quickly the problem doesn't occur. Will this condition worsen w/ time?

Also, on a different topic,when did Colt start using red front sight inserts on Pythons?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,893 Posts
You Python is slightly out of time.

Failing to lock when slowly cocked is THE classic Colt out of time situation.

It is safe to fire, as long as you insure it locks up when the trigger is pulled, but it's about due for a re-timing.

Time for a trip back to Hartford.

I remember seeing the first factory standard red sight inserts in the mid 80's.

The first ones that came with red, were stainless Pythons and the Trooper Mark V.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dfariswheel - Thanks for your timely advice (no pun intended). At least I now know first hand what to look for when evaluating a potential purchase. Though I've never fired it, this Python has had other problems. It's an early 70's model & had sat unfired for over 25 yrs.

Shortly after I got it the hammer would drop part way & stop when trigger was pulled. I took it back to the dealer & he sent it to his gunsmith & after a week it came back & I was told the lockwork had a coat of surface rust & needed cleaning & lubed. Never had that problem again but the trigger on this gun is heavy & stiff compared to my other Python. So, a trip back to Hartford is definitely needed. Thanks again.

[This message has been edited by shortcut (edited 12-25-2003).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts