Colt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else use Bag Balm for leather? I never liked other leather products I tried. My carry piece was polishing the contact points in my holster & getting slippery. Decided it needed renewed 'sticktion' so I gave it a treatment of Bag Balm, rubbed in. I like it so far. In use for generations to sooth cow's teats, I used it for years to keep my hands in shape when I was working in my shop. My doctor, old time DO says nothing 'better'. It has a lanolin base & got a good report on a Google search. If anyone else has experience with it, I'd appreciate comments ---->

·
Registered
163 Posts
I'll have to try that.I've used it for dry skin,athlete's foot,minor cuts,and to treat hot spots on dogs.I've even used it on cow's udders.In this area you have to ask for it from the pharmacy in stores.It is no longer on a display shelf.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I usually use Pecard's Antique Leather Dressing with good success. Pecard's has a petrolatum base which they claim will not harm leather.

https://www.pecard.com/is-petrolatum-safe-for-leather/

I have always used the stuff sparingly as it might make the leather slippery if you use too much.

I am not sure about Bag Balm. I do like using Bag Balm for my hands though.

·
Forum Friend
5,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bag Balm principal ingredient is lanolin aka 'wool fat'; an extract from sheep's wool -- which seems to me preferable to a petroleum base ---->

·
Registered
161 Posts
Friend worked a dairy farm in upstt New York in the 50s. Said nothing was better for the cows and his own cracked skin.

·
Registered
9,090 Posts
Go to for the horses, dogs or my dry hands or the occasional cut or scrape that needs attention. Multiple cans around the ranch we keep handy.

Never wanted a sticky holster myself. On occasion I want them slicker. Never thought to use bag balm for either.

But nice to have yet another use for it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts