Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is a often repeated question I apologize but from the first few pages of search results within the forum it seemed like most of the Diamondback .22's that were getting pricing were either slightly used or 4" barrels.

My father just came across a .22 diamondback that he had purchased for me when I was born and finally gave it to me (about 12 years after his original plan). So seeing that I am not a collector I am looking into selling/trading the revolver for something that I can actually bring myself to fire but I honestly have no idea what type of pricing I should be looking at so any help would be greatly appreciated.

As stated in the topic, it is a .22 Diamondback blue, 6" barrel, new in box with all original manuals etc that came with it and is actually still in the plastic. Was likely a '77 -'79 model as I was born late '78. Obviously it has never been fired. I can provide the specific model and pictures after I pick it up if that is necessary to provide a better estimate but I wanted to go ahead and get this out there to see if I could at least find out what ball park I should be looking at.

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Assuming no finish damage from storage, I would think a true NIB example in that configuration should get close to $1400 - $1500 depending on local factors and how bad you want to sell it. If you do decide to sell you should consider listing in this forums Classified Section.

By the way -- Welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
12,530 Posts
I just started watching them closely since I'll be ready to replace the one I had in the next few months. A true NIB example generally runs between $1200 - $1500. This range is an average of looking at several online resources, factoring in gun shows and a couple gun shops.

Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
553 Posts
My father just came across a .22 diamondback that he had purchased for me when I was born and finally gave it to me (about 12 years after his original plan). So seeing that I am not a collector I am looking into selling/trading the revolver for something that I can actually bring myself to fire...

Thanks for any feedback.
Sell a gun your dad gave you? Sell or trade a NIB Colt Diamondback .22 for something that you can actually bring yourself to fire? I don't get it.

My feedback is that I think you are crazy. I think you will regret selling that gun for the rest of your life. Shoot it. Enjoy it. Teach your girlfriend/wife to shoot with it. Teach your son to shoot with it. Give it to your son someday. Take care of it and treasure it. It's a family heirloom.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Sell a gun your dad gave you? Sell or trade a NIB Colt Diamondback .22 for something that you can actually bring yourself to fire? I don't get it.

My feedback is that I think you are crazy. I think you will regret selling that gun for the rest of your life. Shoot it. Enjoy it. Teach your girlfriend/wife to shoot with it. Teach your son to shoot with it. Give it to your son someday. Take care of it and treasure it. It's a family heirloom.

I understand where you're coming from but despite how it may sound there isn't a bunch of sentimentality associated with it even on his side. He had put the thing into storage and had forgotten about it until now. At this point he knows that I am not into collecting though he does know that I enjoy going out and shooting with him or friends. Because of that he's even said that he would much rather I sell it and get a couple of pistols or a nice new rifle that I would be able to enjoy taking to the range and actually use.

As to the not being able to bring myself to fire it, my point there was that while I'm not a collector I do understand the value that collectors place on truly new in box models like this and I would hate to take this gun out to a range just to plink away with it when I know a true collector could get a lot more joy in owning it for the condition it is in now.

Now thinking that I'm crazy is your prerogative but I can assure you this has been thoroughly discussed with my father and that I would not disrespect a gift from him if I thought there was any chance of him taking even the slightest offense to it. I'll also mention that he has a duplicate of this one that was taken out of the box and that he taught me to shoot with. That pistol has MUCH more more sentimental value to me and when that one is passed on to me it will never be sold and will likely be given to my son when he's old enough. So thanks anyway for your thoughts but I'm quite sure I've thought this through adequately.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As to the rest of the responses, thank you all very much for the information. I will definitely list it in the classifieds section first when I get ready to sell it as I would much rather it go to one of the collector on this site who would appreciate it than to go to someone who doesn't know what it is that they have.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
I recently sold a pristine one without the box to a so so acquintance for $900. FWIW

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Actually as to another question that is related but more out of curiosity, when my dad bought these two, he got them from a buddy of his that owned a gun shop who had bought two for himself. I had never heard until a couple of nights ago but he mentioned that the gold Colt logo on the handle on one of the one's his buddy had bought had actually been double stamped. I know other guns that had unusual factory defects like that have pulled in much higher prices due to their uniqueness (my dad actually had a S&W .38 that they had not rifled the barrel on which he put my sister through a semester of college with :D ) so has anyone ever heard of a defect like that and might know what kind of premium if any that would bring. Again just curiosity on this point.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Picked it up today and here are the pictures.

SN apparently confirms 1978 model

All original packaging including plastic

Original tags still attached to trigger guard

Here is the only issue that I found with the gun. Apparently it wasn't oiled down well right above the grip below the hammer and there are two small rust spots that developed. I haven't tried removing those yet as I don't have anything at the hose abrasive enough to remove the rust but not scratch the surrounding finish.

So if any of the experts out there can provide a more accurate price that I should be asking based on these pictures I would definitely appreciate it and thanks again to everyone who has provided info up to this point.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Too freakin nice.

$1200.00 bucks is about right. A NIB Colt DB in 22 would not approach the value of a similar Python, but it appears that finally, DB's have started to gain acceptance and the big value that they deserve.
Freakin unfired too!
Now, if you had the patience and could wait without firing it for about twenty years, it would be worth 10X that. $12000.00.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
$1200.00 bucks is about right. A NIB Colt DB in 22 would not approach the value of a similar Python, but it appears that finally, DB's have started to gain acceptance and the big value that they deserve.
Freakin unfired too!
Now, if you had the patience and could wait without firing it for about twenty years, it would be worth 10X that. $12000.00.
There would seriously be that much difference in value between the 30 year mark and 50 year mark?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts