Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a .22 Bankers Special. I've done quite a bit of research through old auctions from over the years from different sites. Gunbroker, icollector, invaluable.com, liveauctioneers, rockisland, etc. I think I've got a decent idea, but it's sort of hard to figure out what a fair price is for one in our current market. I've seen them all over the place. Is there any online resources or bluebooks I can reference?

This is one I've been watching listed on gunbroker: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/849868179 but it's been up for a while and no one has taken at it yet. It looks all right, but doesn't come with a box, and I've seen ones with a box go for more than they're asking, so I'm not sure what to make of it. Anyone have a fair estimate on this revolver?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The blue book is pretty useless. I believe that it is too low for Bankers and too high for Detectives and other listed D-frames. And if you can point me to new in box Aircrewman revolvers for $4,500, I will buy every single one.

I think that high condition blued .22 Bankers are worth $4,000-$5,000, more with original box. Woodlawn Boys just sold one a few weeks ago in that ballpark. The best indicator of market prices are completed no reserve auctions on Gunbroker. You can see a 90-day history.

The specific revolver you are showing is hard to get excited about. It has a lot of wear. While I do not see anything glaringly wrong with it, there is not enough detail shown to my satisfaction, and the seller has a history of some questionable transactions. This same gun presented better and from a different seller could very well get the asking price, but the way it is presented now gives experienced buyers pause.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Winston. I agree with your evaluation of the blue book. I felt like the detectives were a bit high, and while I want the bankers prices to be accurate, that isn't what I've seen in tracking prices. I sort of figured that's what a high end blue .22 bankers would go for. I have been checking no reserve auctions on Gunbroker, but unfortunately it is limited to 90 days. With not many transactions occurring, I don't have a lot of data to go off of.

I appreciate your insight on the specific one in question. Might I ask what's missing from the current listing that lacks your satisfaction as an experienced buyer? I understand the seller is questionable, but what other details would you want to see to reassure you for the price? Also, with everything as is, what would you be comfortable paying for said revolver? The serial number is 369256, if that helps. The gun is located in Bloomington, Indiana which is just an hour south of Indy, my second home. If it were worth my time, I could easily go see it in person.

Long story short, my goal is to own a .22 Banker Special that I can also shoot without feeling guilty. I'm also considering getting it engraved along with my detective special (by Jim Downing, the mustache engraver). So while I know I can get a high quality .22 bankers for 4k+, those are mainly for collecting purposes only. And I don't mind the wear on the finish of the one I linked, because I'd have to get it re-finished anyhow if it were to be engraved. Basically, I need a low end .22 bankers that doesn't have any physical damage apart from loss of bluing, and the closer I can get to $2k, the better. A challenge to be sure, but I'm looking.

Still, thanks for the information, Winston!

·
Premium Member
20,171 Posts
I own a couple Bankers Specials in .22 caliber. The one that is for sale appears to be one that is worth > $2500, IMO. $3000 is probably near the maximum value to a person who really wants one in the condition I see in the pictures. I definitely would not want to buy one like the one that is for sale and then have it engraved. If engraving is in your plans, wait for one that has practically no finish on it or for one that has already been refinished.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I own a couple Bankers Specials in .22 caliber. The one that is for sale appears to be one that is worth > $2500, IMO. $3000 is probably near the maximum value to a person who really wants one in the condition I see in the pictures. I definitely would not want to buy one like the one that is for sale and then have it engraved. If engraving is in your plans, wait for one that has practically no finish on it or for one that has already been refinished.

Hey saintclair, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate your evaluation of the one for sale. That would make sense why it's sat for so long with no takers. Also, that is good advice considering I am looking for one to be engraved. I've wanted to find one like the one you're referring to, worn/refinished with no rust/pitting, but sadly not many of these go for sale very often, and the ones that do are generally fairly nice. The one I linked is the lowest end one I've come across, but I suppose I'll be patient and wait. Obviously you can't give me a quote on a gun that doesn't exist yet, but what's the lowest I could probably expect to pay for a .22 bankers that practically has no finish/has been refinished? I just want an idea for when I'm looking, even if it's a range. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts