Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my newly acquired Python (6” blued made in 1969) to the range today. First rounds (Federal factory 357) were dead on target. The next couple cylinders started printing left. I noticed the barrel was canting to the right.

Any recommendations on a quality gunsmith in St Louis area? Do you think Colt could fix it?

Should be a fairly straightforward repair...

Thanks for any advice

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
Colt won't fix it...they no longer work on any legacy handguns other than 1911-type and SAA revolvers. Even if they did they might tell you the barrel cant is within spec.

The best you can do is contact Frank Glenn who is a master gunsmith in Phoenix, AZ and a member here...his services receive universal praise and quick turnaround. Talk to him and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Awesome, thanks. Contacted Frank and gave him the details. He’s out for a few weeks but will set something up for first week of September. Appreciate the help. It’s a great pistol and tight groups. I just guess after 50 years the factory Federal 158gr JSP loosened up things a bit.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doesn’t seem so. My first Colt Peackeeper had a loose barrel. Tightened up and no more problems. My Smiths have pinned barrels so never an issue. I’m not faulting the revolver. It had 50 years before it was exposed to factory 357 (which is always hot)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Came here just for this problem. 60/80 rounds through a "new to me" 6" Python, accuracy started to blow. Quick look confirmed canted front sight / barrel.

Will have to check with Frank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts