Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all you members. My name is Harley and I live in the San Francisco bay area. My interest is semi-automatic pistols, particularly those prominent in WWI and WWII. I recently purchased a near mint 1911 manufactured in 1912. It has an excellent condition of later vintage barrel that I would like to replace with one that is near mint and correct for a December 1912 date of manufacture. Any suggestions for a search for such a rare item would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.....Harley

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Hello to all you members. My name is Harley and I live in the San Francisco bay area. My interest is semi-automatic pistols, particularly those prominent in WWI and WWII. I recently purchased a near mint 1911 manufactured in 1912. It has an excellent condition of later vintage barrel that I would like to replace with one that is near mint and correct for a December 1912 date of manufacture. Any suggestions for a search for such a rare item would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.....Harley
Hardleyever,

Welcome to the Forum!

A near MINT correct Barrel for a COLT Army in the range 15000 - 17250.? A vertical "H" without serifs barrel in that condition will be very difficult. IIRC, have not found one (loose) in that condition in searching over 30 years.

You can regularly search ebay and GB,...one might show up.? Although, it might be better to search for a slightly used Pistol that has been poorly stored and acquire the Pistol for the barrel.

Do you know the difference in the barrel you're looking for and some of the 1916 COLT M1911 barrels?

If you can,---Show us Your Pistol !

Best Regards,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hardleyever,

Welcome to the Forum!

A near MINT correct Barrel for a COLT Army in the range 15000 - 17250.? A vertical "H" without serifs barrel in that condition will be very difficult. IIRC, have not found one (loose) in that condition in searching over 30 years.

You can regularly search ebay and GB,...one might show up.? Although, it might be better to search for a slightly used Pistol that has been poorly stored and acquire the Pistol for the barrel.

Do you know the difference in the barrel you're looking for and some of the 1916 COLT M1911 barrels?

If you can,---Show us Your Pistol !

Best Regards,
Thank you, Stan3. I am still trying to figure out how to navigate this forum so please bear with me. My pistol is no. 13876, Penfield inspected, round rear sight and circle colt marked on the 1911 patent date slide. You are correct in that an "H" on the rear of the barrel extension would be ideal. Second best would be a horizontal H on the top of the barrel with or without a P on the rear of the barrel extension. Third would be with a horizontal P and H on the barrel top.

I hope this reply worked! Pics will be added when I figure out how to get it done.

Thanks again...Harley

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Thank you, Stan3. I am still trying to figure out how to navigate this forum so please bear with me. My pistol is no. 13876, Penfield inspected, round rear sight and circle colt marked on the 1911 patent date slide. You are correct in that an "H" on the rear of the barrel extension would be ideal. Second best would be a horizontal H on the top of the barrel with or without a P on the rear of the barrel extension. Third would be with a horizontal P and H on the barrel top.

I hope this reply worked! Pics will be added when I figure out how to get it done.

Thanks again...Harley
Hardleyever,

No 13876 is one of 500 (13501 - 14000) shipped 15 Nov 1912 to Commanding Officer, Augusta Arsenal, Augusta, GA.

Here's the barrel you are looking for (but, Not the Condition). Your second choice (transition between your 1st and 3rd choice) are more difficult than your 1st. Nice "horizontal P and H on the barrel top" occasionally show up on ebay and GB.

Best Regards,

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
Pics attached, I hope!! They are not great but you will get the idea.
Hardleyever,

Yes, sometimes it is difficult to identify details from pictures.

Here's some details on one about 300 numbers before 13876. At that time, the serial number was stamped after the final metal polish and is raised above the surface. And the W.G.P. inspection stamp is also raised above the surface. (Note the metal polish on the receiver.)

1912 Stocks had 15 rows between the diamonds (3rd picture, this picture is a 1912 around 4000). 4th picture is Colt 1918/1919 13 row stocks on the right with reproduction 13 row on the left.

Best Regards,

Attachments

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
There's no nice way - not really - the nice way is to not leap on the piece as some do, in a sense of schadenfreude, and that didn't happen here.

·
Registered
9,042 Posts
At least not like the Drill Sergeant did when he was notified that PVT Schmucklenutz' mother had passed on, and he was tasked with telling him the sad news.

His solution was quick and to the point- he called a formation...

'Platoon - 'ten SHUN!

At ease.

All those with living mothers, fall out!

Not so fast, Schmucklenutz...'

Of course, this happened in an Army far, far different from today…

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Boy, I hate it when someone joins to show their 100% condition Colt, and finds out it's not original, and worth a fraction of what they paid. To me, it's why I just walk by extremely high condition vintage guns (and their extremely high prices) if they are military issue types especially. Or if they are over 70 years old. It just seems it would be EXTREMELY rare for one of those to have sat on a silk pillow for that long, without the slightest nick on the wood, or touch of metal to metal. I know it has happened, but I'm seeing more "mint" guns and "NIB" ones these days that I saw in a lifetime of collecting starting 40 years ago.... Just saying...

I'd rather have a 95%-98% gun for $1500 that "proves" it's real with decades of handling marks, than a "time capsule" that was never touched by human hands for 110 years for $8,000 or whatever they sell for.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
There's no nice way - not really - the nice way is to not leap on the piece as some do, in a sense of schadenfreude, and that didn't happen here.
I did not want to say it but it looks like a old Bill Adair job to me. All the guns I seen that he did show the same fine wrong polishing marks.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
Thanks for the critique. I did not notice the abnormal polishing marks. When I trade this pistol I will point out the anomalies to any prospective buyers and eat the financial loss. It will get filed in the "learning experience" folder.

Regards....H
Good for you. Many of these are simply passed on as "I bought it as a correct gun". Indeed, if you go back to your seller I'm guessing that would be his story..... and it may be true.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts