Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
good evening , currently i own 4 .357 magnum colts and while cleaning a FHP model i notice that the barrel , frame ,cylinder, hammer and trigger are all stamped 674 , these number are not the serial number any ideas ?/
please advise rj

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
Is this a Florida Highway Patrol gun?

This sounds like a department issue number, or a badge number.

The only thing I can think of, is the gun was refinished and the numbers were stamped on to prevent mixing the parts with another gun.
I've seen re-finisher control numbers electro-penciled on parts, but never actually stamped.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
goodevening , yes the pistol was a former Florida Highway Patrol gun, but this is not the the police resistration number stamped on the butt, this is different as it under the nickel plating and on the hammer , frame, cylinder, barrel and trigger,this is different even from my border partol model , these numbers are odd,
please advise rj

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,882 Posts
Are the numbers exposed to view, or only when the gun is disassembled?

Certainly, this is nothing done by Colt, so I can only assume these are control numbers stamped on by a re-finisher.

Again, could these be a Trooper's badge number?

Since the numbers are UNDER the plating, they have to have been added BEFORE being re-plated.

As is the case with so many old firearms, there are odd stamps and marks that were added for SOME reason, by SOMEONE, but just WHY, and by WHO is difficult or just plain impossible to determine.

Unless you can find someone with knowledge of FHP firearms, likely this will remain a mystery.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the cylinder is stamped under the extrator star, the barrel is stamped on the bottom on the flat wear the knurled ejector rod is, the frames under the grips , both the trigger and the hammer stamped up inside out of view unless completely dis-assebled, these numbers are diffentily not the badge number as that is stamped on the butt and is 110.
as for control numbers stamped on by a re-finisher the pistol( built circa 1961 ) has too much honest holster wear to be refinished and worn again to its presnt state , just odd i hoped the good ole colt boys here could give me an explanation

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My 5" nickle FHP has NO numbers such as rj described in those locations. Butt # 55x and FHP in the butt and "INS" on inside of grip frame.Thats it for "odd marks". Bud

1 - 6 of 6 Posts