Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend and I was talking target shooting and he commented that the 1911 has the reverse twist of what a revolver does,and when it torques it goes towards your right hand,so one can shoot one handed as they teach you that in the military,,one hand in your back pocket or else you are disqualified.So ol Joe here looks at his OMT and it has the same twist as my 1911 does,but I looked at my S&W 29 and it was opposite of the 1911.I haven't dug out a Python yet or any other gun other then these mentioned.It was just that I had these out cleaning them...So whats the deal here?
Joe

·
Registered
185 Posts
I can not comment as to left vs right handed twists, however I can comment as to firearms intructing as it partains to the Army.

We do not teach to fire "one handed" and as far as I know, never have.

Where someone MIGHT see a picture of a soldier shooting one handed would be in some type of National Match Comp.; ie Camp Perry or at Ft. Benning w/ the all Army shooting team.

Sgt.Graham
Evaluation and Training NCO
1/289th (TS)

·
Registered
448 Posts
As I recall, old WWII training films show them shooting with one hand. I have to say that it isn't very practical.

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
As I recall, old WWII training films show them shooting with one hand. I have to say that it isn't very practical.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that would be news to me but regaurdless I wanted to tell all that may read this that the Army nor Marine Corps teach to fire a pistol one handed and only do so when comp. - rules dictate.

As far as the Navy and firearms training, many sailors will have ONLY fired once in their military career (20yrs+) and that time would have been at boot/basic. For years and years, that would have been a .22 long. Now many only use a simulator for qual. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I received an AAM (medal) for (my part) training sailors before their deployment to Haiti (94) in small arms and hand to hand.

I would be interested to know if what your friend told you was true......I've never been all that good at running my 1911's one handed.

FOr those that enjoy that style, look into NRA Bullseye Shooting.

Lee

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I can't say about the military, but the off hand in your back pocket or in the waistband behind your back was the old Bullseye pose. That's probably why it was seen at the Camp Perry matches.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok here is what I have seen in my own guns,,Python,Anaconda,OMT,OMM,revolvers have the same twist as the 1911.Smiths I looked at are 27,29,657,and 586 all have opposite twist.Rugar 357 Blackhawk is opposite also.I stopped there,but the reason still perplexs me.I guess I will take notice on how they shoot at the range on whether the torque of the bullet leaveing the barrel has that much difference.If noticable difference I'll let you know.
Joe

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My friend served in the Vietnam era,was in ordinance,is why he now holds a class 3 license from his Navy training.He wasn't on the sea but rather trained for gunboat duty.He DID compete in competition,with the pistol and also did long range shooting where they had flags every 50 or so yards,I forgot,but was extreme enough they'd have to shoot in the morning with dead calm wind.Now if he's pumping his own wind now,I wont swear to that,but he does know his guns and I know he also has his class 3,and old enough that he could've been in the Vietnam era.
Joe

·
Registered
265 Posts
RgrLee,

We old timers were taught to shoot one-handed. At least that was the way I was trained in `62 in the Army, when I was assigned to the MP's,

John

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you John
Now back to the question.What is the deal with the twist on the barrel of a Colt that is opposite of the above mentioned guns.It does figure that the torque would go towards your right hand and give justification that a Colt might be a better target gun then any others.Regardless if you shoot one handed or not.Maybe this is just a holdover from the old gunslinger days of the SAA.I don't know as I never looked for this in a 1st gen SAA or any other generations for that matter.
Joe

·
Registered
185 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
RgrLee,

We old timers were taught to shoot one-handed. At least that was the way I was trained in `62 in the Army, when I was assigned to the MP's,

John

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting.....

With that out of the way, I do think its an interesting find and should be continued into the long arms. I know the M16 has a right hand twist; does the M60 (circa M240), M14, M249 and or the M9?

I wonder if it is a government thing or just a Colt thing.....the M60 was made by Seko, M14 Springer, M249 NF, and M9 by Beretta.

The only reason I made a big deal about the "one handed" comment is, as an evaluation / training NCO, my unit is dealing first hand with units about to deploy to the sand box. We take shooting very very seriously; the NEW Army has a strong commitment towards not only Basic Rifle Marksmanship (BRM) but also Advanced Rifle Marksmanship and side arms.

I didn't want people to think "one handed" firing was our SOP......thats all we needed was more protesters! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Lee

·
Registered
909 Posts
"The usual American practice is to make the rifling with a right-handed twist, and all American made arms except the Colt pistols and revolvers have right handed rifling. Colt guns, on the contrary all have the rifling left handed, which is the English practice. The reason for this is that after the failure of Col. Colt's first factory in America, he went to London and made his revolvers there for some years; and as the rifling machines in use there were adapted for a left handed twist, Colt used it, and the Colt guns have been made that way ever since." Textbook of Pistols and Revolvers by J.S. Hatcher Copyright 1935.

I also remember Colt advertising claiming that when a shot was fired with their revolvers, the torque imparted by the bullet caused the barrel to be screwed into the frame, not out of the frame as in the case of their competitors. (Maybe that's why S&W began to pin their barrels /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

HTH

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Bushwacker
I owe you a beer.That's the answer I was looking for.It sure fits the bill,,plus I'm sure the one handed shooters can be thankfull that Sam Colt fell into this backward English machining process and felt the same way.It don't have to be difficult to work,it just has to work,,why improve it?
Joe

1 - 13 of 13 Posts