Colt Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
The front sight on that colt looks taller than normal. Did Bat order a taller front sight?
Yes, he did. In that 1885 Dodge City saloon letter he asked for (1) 4-3/4" (2) nickel, (3) "gutta percha" grips, (4) taller and thicker front sight, and (5) "make it senj(sic) easy on the trigger".

I have thought for 60 years that saving that one old 1885 saloon letter was nothing less than a miracle!

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I was just getting ready to post the link.
I can't but help wonder what the closing price will be plus the additional buyer premium that Rock Island charges.
Many years ago I was actually able to handle one of Bat's Colt SAA. (This may be that gun) The owner of it, believed that it was one of Bat's personal guns and not given away or sold. It is rumored that Bat sold a lot of guns to tourist from the East. He based some of that on the fact that the butt was used as a hammer. Conjecture was from hanging wanted posters..
hello, it has been claimed that when pilgrims wanted to buy one of bat's guns and he had none to sell
he would send his mother to the gunshop around the corner to quickly buy one so bat had now a gun to sell.
regards, bro

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I was just getting ready to post the link.
I can't but help wonder what the closing price will be plus the additional buyer premium that Rock Island charges.
Many years ago I was actually able to handle one of Bat's Colt SAA. (This may be that gun) The owner of it, believed that it was one of Bat's personal guns and not given away or sold. It is rumored that Bat sold a lot of guns to tourist from the East. He based some of that on the fact that the butt was used as a hammer. Conjecture was from hanging wanted posters..
hello, wellll, nail head marks are still the easiest defarb to produce. caveat emptor!
regards, bro

·
Premium Member
1,513 Posts

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I seem to recall another letter that Masterson had sent to Colt's requesting an SAA in Nickel plated finish, but with a strip of blue along the top strap and top of the barrel. Probably to aid in sighting which I can understand after owning a Nickel finished revolver and trying to so some shooting outdoors on a sunny day.

Has anyone else read of this and is the gun known to collectors ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
This is a very interesting thread. So is this one in dispute? The Colt letter matches the serial number and it’s been refinished in nickel. How many times will Colt letter a firearm? Also are they consistent when lettering them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I seem to recall another letter that Masterson had sent to Colt's requesting an SAA in Nickel plated finish, but with a strip of blue along the top strap and top of the barrel. Probably to aid in sighting which I can understand after owning a Nickel finished revolver and trying to so some shooting outdoors on a sunny day.

Has anyone else read of this and is the gun known to collectors ?
As for the reason the Masterson 1885 Dodge City Saloon letter survived, I think that Colt kept some letters from notable people. These were later given to a Connecticut library.

That 1885 Masterson Colt was discovered when I was a young kid. It was written up in like a 1960 Guns & Ammo magazine. In those early days, Colt wasn't throwing away important records, as we know they did in the 1970's and later.

·
Premium Member
4,307 Posts
I wouldn't touch it, as he stole it
from Billy the kid.

Reactions: OD* and Gator89
21 - 31 of 31 Posts