Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I attended the gun show in Phoenix today and talked to a couple ATF agents that had a table there promoting class 3 paper work and proper FFL transactions. They were very nice and it is the first time I have ever noticed their presence, let along having a table. I had my Commando with me and talked to them for about 20 minutes...they didn't even ask about it.

· Registered
2,358 Posts
trust no one but your self. observe everything and make no statements to anyone. That leaves no room for any errors. The only one who can get you in trouble is you. That is all I have to say it may be good advise maybe not you make the choice.

Reactions: TFlyboy

· Registered
95 Posts
Isn't the ATF the bureaucratic entity implicated in the Fast and Furious scandal? These self serving parasites are not good. Ever. Don't make the mistake of thinking they're anybody's friend. They aren't. They have a quota. To bust as many gun owners as possible. Period.

· Registered
12,840 Posts
They used to be simply called 'Revenuers'.

Anyway...I thought it was the "B of A T F and now also E"?

I never have quite understood why 'Alcohol' and 'Tobacco' were not under the 'Food and Drug Administration', since both are technically 'drugs' and or could even be 'foods' to some degree or other, or at least either occur as ingredients in Foods and Beverages.

· Premium Member
7,148 Posts
There is a trade group that has all of the "ducks in a row" for another amnesty (sponsorship, language and even ATF). They feel they have one shot at it, but NOT with this administration. The few I have met have been upstanding individuals but they have to enforce voted laws that I feel of which some are dated, unconstitutional and somewhat stupid (if my car made as much noise as my 30-06, I would be ticketed but if I would try to somewhat quite my 30-06 without approvial and a 200 tax, I am off to prison). Way more opportunity to find violations and non-compliance than say finding the rightful owner of a stolen weapon. The National Firearms Act and 68 Gun control act created this nightmare of govt. that will take a long time to streamline. Never offer anything and be quiet!

· Registered
201 Posts
I attended the gun show in Phoenix today and talked to a couple ATF agents that had a table there promoting class 3 paper work and proper FFL transactions. They were very nice and it is the first time I have ever noticed their presence, let along having a table. I had my Commando with me and talked to them for about 20 minutes...they didn't even ask about it.

I was asking them about filling out a form 1 and trying to register an unregistered rifle that has been in the family since it was purchased new. What was interesting was when they commented that the NFA might be having another amnesty period in the near future.

Has anyone heard this too?
Does Arizona require rifles to be registered?

· Premium Member
7,725 Posts
(redacted)

I never have quite understood why 'Alcohol' and 'Tobacco' were not under the 'Food and Drug Administration', since both are technically 'drugs' and or could even be 'foods' to some degree or other, or at least either occur as ingredients in Foods and Beverages.
In my younger years, prior to the era when I had to accept more responsibility than I was prepared to handle, I had 3 major food groups: Pizza, Beer and Parliament Lights. I'm happy to say I still enjoy an occasional pizza and perhaps A cold one (when it's hotter than Hades and I've sweated through 3 shirts doin ranch stuff) to cool off and relax a tad but I finally quit that last one over 16 months ago though I still crave the lil darlins here and there and cheated once (shame on me). So, yes those food groups should be under the FDA :)

· Premium Member
12,527 Posts
There's good and bad in every aspect of life; the BATFE is no different. As a FFL in Texas, for many years, I had visits from the BATF (as it was called back then) on several occasions. Pleasant, conversation-engaging and always respectful. During the Clinton era, their visits necessitated a heavier-handed agenda to get the smaller dealer to exit the profession and their demeanor became much more suspect; quite demonstrative of the IRS-type tactical assault of the citizen in the other camp of the administration's party.

· Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My reason for this post was not to determine if the BTAFE was our "friends" (LOL) just that they were approachable.

I was more interested in feed back from here on the possibilities of another amnesty period, and if they were at other shows not hiding in the shadows, ha ha.

Bart45, Arizona only requires that Class 3 weapons to be registered.

· Registered
160 Posts
Their job is to encourage voluntary compliance with the law, plain and simple. However, if they pick up on a crime their job is to enforce the law. A double-edged sword if you will. Like the Good Book says, if a man has done nothing wrong he has nothing to fear. Let's keep trying to keep the laws on OUR side!!! That way there won't be a problem.

· Registered
322 Posts
I worked jointly with many ATF/BATF/BATFE agents for many years, and with very few exceptions always found them to be highly professional law enforcement officers. And I don't know what we would do without them in some of our explosives and fire investigations. The problems with them, as well as with all law enforcement agencies, seems to arise when politically motivated bosses start pulling the strings. I cannot be as complimentary in general about IRS agents although I have known some who were outstanding investigators as well. Just my $.02

Reactions: Joel6180

· Registered
3,414 Posts
When we were able to have gun shows in Westchester County N.Y, the undercover ATF guys were there to bust vendors who were selling things they shouldn't and buyers who were trying to get them. There was nothing friendly or respectful with Federal Agents effecting a arrest for the target or anyone else around them when the arrest happened.With present Federal Agencies being used to abuse and intimidate citizens I wouldn't give any of them the time of day.Nuff said

· Registered
3,452 Posts
There's good and bad in every aspect of life; the BATFE is no different. As a FFL in Texas, for many years, I had visits from the BATF (as it was called back then) on several occasions. Pleasant, conversation-engaging and always respectful. During the Clinton era, their visits necessitated a heavier-handed agenda to get the smaller dealer to exit the profession and their demeanor became much more suspect; quite demonstrative of the IRS-type tactical assault of the citizen in the other camp of the administration's party.
That was then ,this is now. There is no government agency that has your well being as a consideration. If you work , you are government food. If you work and have guns , they want to remove them. Tyrants hate peasants with swords. Did I leave anything out?

· Registered
2,350 Posts
The have had tables at a couple of shows I attend, but I haven't seen them for several years.
Having dealt with the (now) BATFE for about 25 years, I've found the lower level agents to be no better or worse than any other law enforcement agency, and like those other agencies, there will be a few badge heavy jerks that give the rest a bad rap. Most are polite and courteous with the exception of one or two that could have used a few Carnegie courses. The corruption, political nonsense, and blatant anti gun activity appears to be in the upper levels of managment and most street level agents I've had off the record conversations with, don't like the bad stuff any better than we do.
The amnesty rumor may stem from a recent federal court decision that reversed some BATFE decisions on the legality of class III auto sear ownership, that will probably boil over into other BATFE decisions being reversed. Could be turned into a good thing for gun owners but with this administration, don't count on it.

· Registered
2,984 Posts
the undercover ATF guys were there to bust vendors who were selling things they shouldn't and buyers who were trying to get them
CruiserRN - I don't see that as a problem; no different then local cops (undercover but pretty obvious who they were) trying to buy a handgun from a seller and offering $$$$ to sell to them with an out of state ID.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.