Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
As a hobby, and to augment my meager gun-fund, I collect rifle and handgun brass, sort it, polish it and sell it. The easiest way to sell it is to advertise it on Craig's List.

Recently, my ads have been getting flagged and deleted for not complying with the rules. So, I sent an email to their support people asking them what was going on.

Much to my amazement here is their answer:
"Craigslist uses the ATF's definition of ammunition to cover their behinds and the site. The ATF defines ammo as any one component to make a complete useable round. The term “Ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm. So used empty brass is by definition ammunition."

So, I went to the BATFE website, and sure enough:
18 U.S.C., § 921(A)(17)(A) The term “Ammunition” means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm.

Firearms - Guides - Importation & Verification of Firearms, Ammunition and Implements of War - Gun Control Act Definitions - Ammunition | ATF

One more example of our government taking care of us. Is this scary, or what ?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well you have to remember the: government is here to help you - not. Sorry for your situation because conceivably you could throw those polished cases at someone and hurt them. Nonsense! You do sound like someone who will preserver! Best of luck.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
Don't seem to have any problems selling cases or bullets on GunBroker.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't seem to have any problems selling cases or bullets on GunBroker.
Well, you can sell loaded ammunition on GunBroker, so there isn't an issue there.

Craig's List has a rule which states that you can't sell firearms or ammunition.

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Ammunition has always meant either 'live' complete Metallic Cartridges...or, Bullets/Balls and Powder together, for Muzzle Loaders.

No where that I ever heard of, has 'Ammunition' mean merely one ( '1' ) abstract component of either.

In other words, 'Ammunition' was something 'Ready to chamber or Load'...and not merely one component, divorced from the rest of the components needed to Fire.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Whoever came up with that definition must be one of those people who also think that a gun fires the entire cartridge out of the barrel...

·
Registered
12,832 Posts
Whoever came up with that definition must be one of those people who also think that a gun fires the entire cartridge out of the barrel...
The only people I have met, where I found out that that IS what they 'thought' ( three or four so far )...were New York arm chair liberal intellectuals, usually, fairly highly 'educated' academically.

None of whom have ever handled or fired a Firearm ( and all of whom are dead set 'against' ALL or any Firearms being held by 'the public').

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
One thing my 69 years on this planet has made obvious, is that dealing with government regulations can rarely be done with reason and logic.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I feel that Craigslist is also different regionally.

Craigslist does not look at an add unless it is flagged. Craigslist "Nazi's" in your area must be working overtime to filter those types of adds.

I've seen plenty of adds for brass in my area with no problems at all.

I have also seen adds for guns themselves using brief descriptions and code words.

Take this add for example.

9mm reloading components brass,bullets,primers

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
One thing my 69 years on this planet has made obvious, is that dealing with government regulations can rarely be done with reason and logic.
I made that argument in Federal Court once. The Federal Judge agreed that federal regulations and their interpretation often is illogical.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts