Colt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a rather standard Colt 1903 Hammerless with British proofs and am wondering about its history. It is a 1915 gun (#190215) with about 80% remaining finish, early magazine (two-tone, pinned and unmarked floorplate) with a single set of British proofs. I interpret the proofs to be 1964 British Birmingham commercial proof for sale and/or export based on Charles W. Clawson's article in the "Gun Collector's Digest, 5th Edition, The Government Model in British Service". The gun has no earlier British proofs as one would expect from a commercial gun in England before WWII. My guess is that it is a gun that went over as a "Battle of Britain" donated gun from America, was put into storage and never issued or used and then released as surplus for sale to the U.S. in the 1960's. I've read that a lot of civilian guns were donated to the British during the "dark days" immediately following Dunkirk and sent over for emergency use, but never heard much about their final disposition. I'd really like to find a link to information about these donated guns and if this 1903 could be one of them. Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
It could be, but no easy way to tell. I understand that very few of the guns loaned/donated by US owners for Britain's home defense in 1939-40 ever returned back across the Atlantic, as most were melted down as scrap iron after WWII. I imagine a few of them surrepticiously found their ways into the posession of various subjects of the King, and this may well be one of them.

·
Registered
388 Posts
My Dad was an officer in the Royal Navy in WWI (and the USN in WWII). He bought a 1908 .380 in 1913 and carried it through both wars and years of Merchant Marine service in between. He bought it in Boston MA, just walked in, 20 years old and not even a US citizen and bought the gun and 200 rounds of ammo and walked out the door with em. Try that today in the peoples republik of MA! Get you a swat team call out. I still have it, had Colt refinish it 70 something as years of salt water had taken their toll. Still shoots quite well, too bad the sights are so horrible, would make a good CCW weapon today.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts