Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the experts on the 2" Colt Commando's.

The books state that "The original two-inch barreled Commandos may be identified by their round front sight and the long company name marking with a "CONN" (rather than "CT") abbreviation for Connecticut.

However, most of the two-inch Commandos encountered today did not leave the factory with short barrels. More than 12,000 four-inch Commandos were converted to the shorter barrel after the war. These revolvers have the later ramp sight and either the short company
name ("COLT'S MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT. U.S.A.") from the early postwar period, or the long name ("COLT'S PT. F.A. MFG. CO. HARTFORD, CT U.S.A.") using "CT" for Connecticut."

The blue book pricing only states add 15% for the 2" version.

My question is if both the original and the converted version have the same value? or does the converted version have less value? How much less?

I have the opportunity to pick up a 98% S/N 113xx 1943 Converted version, no box, for a great price. TIA

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
my thoughts are that the original 2in commandos would be worth more than converted ones. converted ones probably have slightly more value to someone that prefers the shorter barrel, otherwise they're probably in the same range as a 4in.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
I don't think a 4" Commando that was converted to a 2" Commando would be worth nearly what an original that left the factory with a 2" barrel is worth unless a factory letter or some other type of documentation could be provided that the conversion wasn't done by a local guy and then reparked. Even if documented I don't think a factory conversion to a 2" would be worth what an original 2" is worth.

I am not trying to be a wise guy, just learn something. Where is the information about 12,000 4" Commandos being converted to 2" Commandos to be found? Is it in Pate's book or a Clausen book, or another book about military Colts? I don't have any books on military Colts so I am ignorant on all but the basics of this subject.

·
Registered
7,258 Posts
Thanks guys, Malysh here is a link. I can send others if you like.

The World War II Commando Revolver
Thanks Elliot. I was hoping the article came from Pate or somebody like KWill who are acknowledged experts on the subject, as it proved to be.
I still maintain a factory rebarreled Commando to a 2" version would not be worth what an original factory 2" is worth. It would certainly be worth more than a standard Commando converted by some unknown source, though.

Good thread! :D

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
If 12,000 Commando's were converted to 2" barrels, you would think they would be more common.
That's a fair amount of revolvers, yet they are seldom seen on the market. I question that number.

·
Premium Member
3,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Personally I am not worried about the up charge for 2" Commandos as I got this Snub for less then the 4" BB value. I promise to post pictures in a week when it arrives.

I started this thread in hope of learning more, as my SNUBBY collection is growing past the common Colt revolvers.. More to come .. (-:
There are 2 experts in town that collect and sell military Colts that I spent some time with this afternoon. Per their knowledge there are 3 types of 2” inch colt commandos.
1. The original very scarce 2 inch with the rounded front sight, Conn on the right side of the barrel forConnecticut, NOT CT.
2. The more common retrofit 2 inch with ramped front sight and CT. not CONN on the barrel.
3. Lots of counterfeit cut down 4 inch Commandos with the same markings and round front sight as the scarce 2 inch.
The consensus of the local experts is that they will never trust an original 2” with round front sights, as the market pays 2 times the BB value of a4”. The premium made it worthwhile for a lot of fakes. Unless the original has a Colt letter, no dealer will trust one. I hope our expert dealers will jump in.

The common retrofit 2”only had a 5 to 15% premium over the 4”, so there was not enough money in it to make a copy of the barrel with markings.

And yes Muddyboot, I have not seen one before. That is why I was asking. :)

Malysh, you are correct. The original 2" with factory letter is worth at least 2 times the 4" Commando value in the same condition.

·
Registered
376 Posts
According to Pate, US handguns of WW2 there were about 3452 original 2 inch Commando revolvers ordered and supplied to various organisations. The conversions after the war I would answere who really knows, some perhaps were factory and others by individuals.

·
Registered
55 Posts

"The consensus of the local experts is that they will never trust an original 2” with round front sights, as the market pays 2 times the BB value of a4”. The premium made it worthwhile for a lot of fakes. Unless the original has a Colt letter, no dealer will trust one." .....that's a bold statement considering there's a huge difference between a cut down 4in (fake) and a real 2in. i had a real, original 2in commando and i don't think any collector who did his homework would be fooled by a fake with a cut down barrel. look at pate's book and compare and contrast pix.

·
Registered
55 Posts
oh and sorry...prices...the words "scarce" and "rare" are tossed around in the collector world but i think the 2in commando really qualls. with around 3400 made; who knows how many are available (the one i had was the only one i'd ever seen in real life) and how rarely they're for sale it's hard to say. i remember seeing a nice (real) 2in commando on an internet site asking 1900 IIRC. i didn't think it was over priced. a conversion would seem to me to be worth less than a comparable 4in since it has been altered from original condition. WW2 commandos are very cool revolvers.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
WW2 Colt Commando 2" snub's

According to Pate, US handguns of WW2 there were about 3452 original 2 inch Commando revolvers ordered and supplied to various organisations. The conversions after the war I would answere who really knows, some perhaps were factory and others by individuals.
even with the post war conversions, its still one of/ if not 'THE' / rarest of all Colt's 2Oth Century production firearms ......

i had a real, original 2in commando and i don't think any collector who did his homework would be fooled by a fake with a cut down barrel. look at pate's book and compare and contrast pix.
its true, a cut down is easy to spot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts